Nucleus connectivity issues and failure to detect a SSD

If it’s copying, and you are using drag and drop, then it’s not formatting.

Depending on the amount of music, it can take a long time.

Cheers, Greg

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

It sounds like you formatted the drive first, which is the proper starting step, so this is good.

Yes, copying the files via the network takes a while since you are limited to the SMB max speeds. You shouldn’t have to copy the files again once the process is done, and no, copying the files shouldn’t reformat the drive.

Do let us know when the process is complete and if you have any issues with the files.

When the copying is complete, will I be able to play music with just the iPad as a remote. In other words, does the MacBook Pro have to be turned on just to play music?

Also, can the Nucleus be turned off when not playing music?

Also, Carbon Copy Cloner has a fairly large help section on “formatting formats.” What format does the Nucleus actually use?

Also, thanks for all the help. I know just enough about this stuff to get into trouble.

Also try to check the progress as often as possible. I had several issues transferring certain files. For example in my library had two files named Bob Dylan. One was spelled “Bob Dylan” and one spelled “bob dylan”. The transfer stopped and I had to manually drag individual files over. I’m not sure if this was a Roon/Nucleus issue of a ExFat issue.

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

Yes.

No. Since the library would now live in the Nucleus Internal Storage, keeping the Macbook Pro powered on won’t be necessary.

Yes, but you won’t be able to even connect to the Roon UI if the Nucleus is powered off, the Nucleus must be powered on to access your library/play to zones.

Formatting the internal storage drive via the WebUI sets it up as an ExFAT drive.

If you have made edits already made to your library, you’ll also want to ensure that the Nucleus does not see two copies of the same media files. See Preserve Edits Guide for further information on this topic.

Copying with the Finder stopped with an error message after a few hours. The error message was “read or write error Code -36.”

iTunes was able to play the track flagged without any trouble. Nucleus was also able to play the track. So, it must be a write error??? At any rate, what can I do?

Also, I would guess that about 60 albums had been copied. How can I tell Nucleus to use the internal library to see if that is working?

@Richard_Caspari -

It’s possible that the file itself is corrupt in some way that the Mac can’t copy it but it is still playable. I would try skipping that file and see if the same issue occurs for other files.

Have you disabled the previous storage location in Roon Settings -> Storage and left just the internal storage as active? If not, I would do this, and then you can search for the tracks which you copied over and try playing them in Roon. You can also right click a track -> 3-dot drop-down menu -> view file info to view the path of the file:

I discovered that the track/file that stopped the copying process was also in another album in my library (not yet copied). In fact, all the tracks of the two different albums were the same. It was part of a set of album tracks that were exactly the same as another album, but, of course, the album names were different. This is something that happens when a box set of disks are purchased and ripped. I probably have a number of duplicate albums with this kind of situation - same tracks but different album names.

How do I skip a file?

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

If you have duplicates, you can hide them by toggling this setting:

If they show up as different albums because of the name, then you can manually identify the albums:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Editing

If you want to skip the file from copying over, I would move it from the original folder location and copy the folder contents without it.

What does it mean to “hide” duplicate files?

I was afraid that “skipping” a file involved removing them from the iTunes library. This involves to much work trying to track them down. My library has over 24,000 tracks.

I have previously mentioned that I have a program called Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) that I use for library backup. This program has never had any trouble with this file! Many in the ROON support staff are afraid that CCC will reformat the SSD if I use it to transfer my library. I have sent a request to CCC about this possibility. Probably won’t hear from them until next week.

Could I have a defective SSD that is causing a write problem?

I did “drag” out the offending file onto the desktop from the library. I then resumed the transfer process using the “merge” option to join with what was already copied. After a couple minutes of setting up the merge, the copying process stopped again with the same error message with the next file in the library list. ???

How can the “skipped” file be put back into the library?

Hello @Richard_Caspari,

Duplicate files would be albums that you have added twice to your library, for example if they were located in two watched storage locations such as your Nucleus Internal Storage and an external USB drive.

If you have an option of copying the files with Carbon Copy Cloner without reformatting the drive, then you can use it. The important aspect to keep in mind is that the drive must be formatted by the Nucleus and keep that same format.

You could also facilitate the transfer another way, which is by connecting the WD drive directly to the Nucleus and then using a similar method to copy the contents. You can navigate to the Nucleus /Data/Storage/ folder and the WD drive should be listed there. Then you can copy + paste the files over to the /Data/Storage/InternalStorage folder.

Does this help?

I got a reply from Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) and they assured me that the internal SSD would not be reformatted.
So, the computer and the Nucleus spent all day Tuesday and part of Wednesday copying my Library. It took over 30hrs to copy 1.15T. It did the copy without a hicup. It looked as if CCC started where the Finder left off. The progress bar started about an inch into the long, slow moving progress bar.
When completed, I disabled my external HD library to make sure only the internal SSD was active. The SSD storage quickly jumped to 480 tracks but then it stalled and did not change for over an hour while I played one of the few available albums. I then enabled my old library again and the SSD suddenly dropped to 454 tracks?
I then went to setup and reinstalled the latest ROON software which took about 5 to 10 min.
Now the Nucleus cannot see either of my enabled libraries.
I did check the Internal drive icon on my desktop and all the music files are there waiting to be recognized???
Help!!!

Some more detail. When I reinstalled ROON with setup, there was a connection dropout right at the end. I told ROON to “ignore” because there no longer seemed to be a connection problem. It appeared momentary???
Also, ROON no longer sees my PS Audio DAC?

Now the Nucleus Internal Storage icon is suddenly missing from the desktop?

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

If you navigate to the Nucleus Internal Storage folder location, how many tracks do you see visible there? If you don’t see the Internal Storage icon, you can use Mac’s Connect to Server feature to manually connect to it.

Is there any change in behavior if you reboot the Nucleus via the Web UI?

Rebooting the modem and the router at the same time with no change in the problems.

Rebooted Nucleus Web UI with no change.

The Nucleus internal storage did reappear on the desktop with Connect to Server.

Rebooted Nucleus Web UI again with no change.

Nucleus is aware of the Internal Storage and my external HD library but is not accessing any of the music files???

Also, my DAC is still not connecting???

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

These symptoms sound a bit strange. Can you please use these instructions to access your Nucleus logs and upload a set to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

I was able to find a ROON log file using Finder’s GO option with the Option key. I was able to zip the file using Compress log. and I think the file was shared using your Firefox link.

This process is completely new to me and the instructions are very confusing, mainly because I was not able to determine what applies to me and what doesn’t.

I rebooted my modem, router and Nucleus all at the same time this morning. No change. The problems are still there. I also had to remount the Nucleus Internal Drive with the Finder’s GO option. The Drive’s icon is on the desktop and I am able to navigate its contents.

Please advise!

Hi @Richard_Caspari,

Once you upload the files to send.firefox.com, you should be presented with a link to the files. I’m not seeing a link for the files in any of your responses, can you please try to re-upload and post the download link here?