Nucleus - Discrepancies with instructions

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
New Nucleus received last week (rev B) SN: 54B203813AC9.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Network connection will be via Ethernet to Apple Time Capsule.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Discrepancies with instructions…

1. Case has 4 screws to remove bottom, instructions show 5. Also, SSD drive connector doesn’t look same as that in instruction.

2. Four screws to connect an internal SSD drive were not included with the unit. I haven’t purchased the SSD drive yet, but maybe the drive will have the screws?

3. Are there particular SSD drives recommended or not recommended? And maximum size?

4. What’s the proper order of for setup?
    a. Purchase Roon Subscription
    b. Download Roon app to iPad
    c. Turn on Nucleus
    d. Install Hard Drive (or install hard drive before setting up Roon?)
    e. Sign up for Tidal

1 Like

From memory the screws were already there inside on mine rather than in a bag supplied with the unit

Rails are screwed in, but no screws anywhere to attach drive to rails.

Hi @Paul_MaybeAudiophile,

The instructions in our Knowledge Base currently show images of the original case. We’ll have the KB updated to include both images soon.

I’ve asked the team about this and will update you soon.

As noted in the KB, 2.5" HDD or SSD with a drive height of 7mm or 9mm will work for you here.

Please see our Nucleus Setup Guide — This will walk you through each step in order. If you have any questions about the guide please let us know!

Dylan, thanks. Actually, I meant what was maximum hard drive capacity (512, 1T, etc.). I have since bought a 512 SSD. I now need the screws to attach the SSD the rails. How do I contact you to provide an address to send the screws?
Thank you.
Paul

I just checked with the team to make sure, and they’ve confirmed that the Nucleus comes with screws to attach the rails, but it does not come with screws to attach the drive to the rails. This should come with the drive itself.

There is no limit to the capacity that can be used.

The Samsung drive I purchased did not come with screws to attach to the rail. Your online description “What’s in the box?” specifically says “4 screws for mounting an optional internal HDD or SSD.” It does NOT say to “… attach rails.” This is pretty frustrating, particularly in view of the cost of the Nucleus that you can’t supply the screws.

Meanwhile, I have attached a FIIO M7 DAP to the USB port on the back of the Nucleus but it is not showing up when I go to “Storage” - “Add Folder” or under “Audio.” It does see my Bel Canto 1.5 DAC which is connected to the other USB. The DAP is getting power from the Nucleus and is turned on. Please advise. I would like to copy the files from the DAP to the internal SSD drive. Thank you Dylan.

I’ll echo Paul and say that the Nucleus should come with the screws. I have never bought a drive that came complete with fixing screws - I’ve always had to provide those myself. Luckily, I have them because of a lifetime of tinkering. I suspect I’m different to the average Nucleus owner…

“For the want of a nail, a kingdom was lost…”

I doubt very much that you can do this directly. You’ll almost certainly have to copy the files from the DAP to a Windows PC or a Mac first, and from there, copy the files over the network to the Nucleus.

Looking at the M7 manual, I see this on page 25:

2. How can I access the micro SD card after connecting the M7 to the computer? A: M7 uses the MTP protocol and couldn’t be properly recognized until the MTP driver installed. Connect M7 to computer, open the disk named “FiiO MTP Driver”; Then, for Windows computers, copy the “SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1590.exe” file in the folder “Windows” to a local folder on the computer (such as the desktop) and double click to install it; For Mac computers, install the driver stored under the folder “Mac\OS MTP Client”. After that, you will be able to access the storage or SD card of the M7.

This indicates that you need to install a driver on your PC or Mac to be able to use the MTP protocol. There’s no driver available to use the Nucleus directly…

OK. Thanks Geoff. Here’s what I would like to do, maybe you can help…

1. Goal number 1 is to have all my music on the internal SSD drive installed in the Nucleus. I will start with copying over from a computer to the SSD drove.

2. Goal number 2 is to save music from Tidal (which I just signed up for) in a Roon library, which I understand can be played offline.

3. I would like to have a DAP either attached directly to the Roon or connected to the computer by USB that I can copy files from the SSD drive to the DAP so I can listen to music on the DAP.

So the questions are…

a. Is there a DAP(s) that you know of that I can copy files directly from the ROON SSD to the DAP and vice versa?
b. Will the Tidal files I save in the library be playable on the DAP? (I assume the DAP has to be Tidal compatible and can connect directly with Tidal.)
Meanwhile, two other questions please.
c. Where in the Roon directory are the Tidal files saved to the Roon library?
d. I am able to see the Roon folders in the Mac “finder” app. However, when I type \NUCLEUS\data\storage\internalstorage on a PC, I see the drive in a browser folder, but it doesn’t show up in Windows explorer. Is there a way to have the Roon SSD drive show up in Windows explorer, which is my regular computer.
Thank you for your help.
Paul

Hmm, I fear that you are making a few mistaken assumptions here… Lets try and unpack this a bit…

a. Is there a DAP(s) that you know of that I can copy files directly from the ROON SSD to the DAP and vice versa?
I don’t know of one - for the reasons I posted earlier. I think you are always going to have to use the Mac Finder or Windows explorer as a go-between to copy files from the Nucleus internal storage (or a USB drive attached to a Nucleus) to a DAP connected to a Mac or PC.

b. Will the Tidal files I save in the library be playable on the DAP? (I assume the DAP has to be Tidal compatible and can connect directly with Tidal.)
If the DAP can use the TIDAL streaming service, then it can play these files direct from TIDAL. I don’t use TIDAL myself, so I’m not sure whether in such cases a local copy of the TIDAL tracks can be downloaded into the DAP storage for playing offline. I suspect so.

Meanwhile, two other questions please.
c. Where in the Roon directory are the Tidal files saved to the Roon library?
Roon doesn’t actually save any TIDAL files physically on the SSD, it simply adds the details of TIDAL albums and/or tracks that you “add to your library” into the Roon database. Then, when you play these back, it streams them from the TIDAL service.

d. I am able to see the Roon folders in the Mac “finder” app. However, when I type \\NUCLEUS\data\storage\internalstorage on a PC, I see the drive in a browser folder, but it doesn’t show up in Windows explorer. Is there a way to have the Roon SSD drive show up in Windows explorer, which is my regular computer.

This is odd. I would expect that if you type \\NUCLEUS\data\storage\internalstorage into the address field of Windows Explorer, it should show up, in a similar fashion to as it does for my Roon Core on a ROCK/NUC

Thanks Goeff. I think I am getting the picture now with the DAP; I’ll have to load Tidal on it and download from Tidal, and not plan on having Roon transfer it over one way or other. I guess my hope is one day a DAP will be available that I can plug into the Roon USB and have it be the storage location for my files.
Meanwhile, not sure why my Explorer won’t show the SSD drive. I’m running Windows 10.
Meanwhile, I also tried plugging in an exFat formatted SD card into the USB using a USB card reader, but Roon doesn’t see it in the Storage - Add Folder setup. My PC sees the files fine.
Thanks.
Paul

What happens when you type \\Nucleus\ into the address field of Windows Explorer?

Edit: Hang about, what is your network setup? You say in your first post “Network connection will be via Ethernet to Apple Time Capsule”. That sounds a bit unusual…

First, I want to apologize for some misinformation previously — There was a miscommunication when I spoke with the team regarding the inclusion of the screws. I’ve since confirmed that they should be included.

If you would, please send me a private message with your shipping address and I’ll make sure we get these over to you.

Regarding some of your other questions:

• Roon does not allow for the offline playback of TIDAL content.
  • Can you confirm that path that you’re entering when you try to connect to the Nucleus from the Windows 10 machine to see the SSD drive?
  • Can you verify that you’re able to see the Nucleus Web Administration Interface from the Windows machine?

Again, you have my sincere apologies for the misinformation here, Paul.

FWIW, the visibility problem of the Nucleus SSD drive was solved…
I found on the Roon community something about SMB3.1. See link 1 below. That led me to a Microsoft link that not only let me see the Nucleus SSD drive, but also my Apple Time Capsule drive that I hadn’t seen since getting my Win10 laptop last year!
(Windows 10 (newest update), SMB 3.1.1 and Synology) [Roon Software]

Link 2 - This fixed problem…

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/detect-enable-disable-smbv1-smbv2-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows-server

Meanwhile, I could not see my USB SD card reader hooked up to the Nucleus. I switched the two Nucleus USB connections. I moved Dac from bottom to top, and SD card reader to bottom. This lets me see the SD card in both Win Explorer and Settings - Choose Music Storage Folder. (Faster way to transfer music to Nucleus SSD drive.)

Cheers.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Screws for internal drive missing from Nucleus Rev B

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.