Nucleus does not detect internal drive

Hello… Received and my Nucleus yesterday… Installed an internal drive, per the instructions…
Seagate IronWolf 110 SSD 1.92 TB 2.5" SATA dr. Brand new in sealed box.

Booted it all up, and it won’t detect the drive.

I have gotten in the Web/admin interface, re-installed the O/S, Reset, Rebooted etc…

Still doesn’t detect the drive…

With should I do?

I would also mention that this is the only SATA drive I have and the Nucleus is the only device I own that would take one, so I have no option of swapping things around…

Thanks

The first thing I would do is to double check the cabling. It is easy sometimes for a cable to come loose. So double check that the power and data connector is tight at both the drive and the motherboard.

All cables seated tight and snug. On both ends.

And, when you go into the web/admin page, there is not an option to format the storage?

The Nucleus, if it detected the drive, would give you the ability to format it. Which needs to be done before the drive is usable. Even if it was already formatted, Nucleus will force a re-format before it will use the drive for storage.

It does not detect it…

No option available to format…

Frustrating

Hi @Warren_Holm,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Nucleus Web UI?

Also was suggested that I have the drive formatted. Took to shop and had them do so. No change.

Hi @Warren_Holm,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I have enabled diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this action does is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis. I’m going to request some additional feedback from QA regarding your case.

It may take a bit of time for your diagnostics to reach QA’s review queue, in the meantime if you by any chance have another drive you could try using that would be a good next step, otherwise we should wait for QA’s take on this matter. Thanks!

If you are referring to an internal drive, I do not.

I have a 6TB drive on the network, and it will work with that…

WH

Hi @Warren_Holm,

Thanks for confirming. I suggest you use the networked drive in the meantime and as soon as I have further feedback from QA I will let you know. Thanks for your patience here!

Hello @Warren_Holm,

I wanted to check in with you to let you know that QA has reviewed the diagnostics and they are currently investigating this issue, it looks like they require some feedback from the dev team to proceed.

As soon as I hear back from QA regarding next steps, I will be sure to update you accordingly. Apologies for the frustrations and thank you in advance for your patience!

Noris - thank you for following up on this. Warren is my customer and we are eager to get his new Nucleus functioning as soon as possible.

Tony DiDino

AudioXtream
973-388-0900

Hello Noris… Thanks for your message…

In the interest of being honest, my patience is not really a choice.

Presented a fairly straight forward problem, to be told it is being sent off for diagnostics, nothing but crickets chirping for three days, to be told they are now investigating it, and reaching out to yet another team for their input.

I get the “forum based” tech support to a point, making sure people have read the FAQ’s etc, but IMHO, once I have presented a legitimate major issue, I should be communicating with someone via telephone at my convenience until it is settled. Not trading posts, and having to call my dealer to get someone to do something. (he is responsive and actually interested in getting this done) !

I bought what I considered to be the Cadillac server, and even though it isn’t necessary as I could have run it on my MACs. Just to have the “best of the best” in my system of carefully chosen components. And for the past week now, it is laying half in and half out of the rack, upside down with the cover off, so I can repeatedly access the drive etc, and do whatever tech support wants me to do.

One of my friends came over and looked at the mess, asking “what’s that”? I explained it to him, he just kinda looked at me… I doubt he will be a customer.

Not impressive.

I am sure your support team is a great group of folks, and when this thing runs correctly I love the software. I also recognize that how tech support is implemented isn’t your call. But please pass on to whomever is in charge of such things, my displeasure.

Also in my down time, figured I would be asked to replace the drive, so in advance talked Seagate into replacing it… Same issue.

Thanks… Warren

Hi @Warren_Holm,

Noris alerted me to your issue and we met with our senior Quality Assurance team this evening to discuss how we can get this resolved for you. The team reviewed the diagnostics report that Noris previously mentioned, and, unfortunately, it appears that Roon’s OS does not see the drive that you have connected at all.

At this stage there are a few possibilities here. We don’t have this specific drive in-house to test with, and it looks like it’s designed specifically for use with a NAS. Based on the product page there isn’t anything that says it shouldn’t work at all with the Nucleus, but there may be something specific to this drive’s configuration that isn’t working correctly with the Nucleus. Besides the drive, there are a couple of other places where this issue could be stemming, but ultimately understanding the issue will require some advanced troubleshooting steps.

With this in mind, we are hoping that you can get the Nucleus to Tony at AudioXtream so we can work directly with them on the next steps to get this resolved for you. We have sent Tony some next steps that will help identify the issue so we can get this resolved for you as soon as possible.

Once again you have our sincere apologies for the trouble here, Warren. I can assure you that our team wants to make this right and we are confident that our next steps will help us to identify and resolve this issue for you.

If you have any questions please do let us know. Your patience and continued cooperation is much appreciated, and you have our apologies once more for the ongoing trouble.

-Dylan