Nucleus failing to access a hard drive file on a windows pc

Network share not working. win 10 Seems to be set correctly

Are there any humans at roon I can talk too???

Put in @support, that alerts the “humans”

Please describe your system details , it’s the first thing anyone is going to ask,

Isn’t this a second thread ?

What’s are you trying to achieve with a Nucleus and a Win 10 Pc. Mostly you have one or the other.

Trying to acces music files from desktop using nucleus?.?

Having Network share access problem and can’t find answer.
Any humans available to speak??
Why so hard to understand?

Hi,

Your topic has been moved to the support section of the forum.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

1 Like

Having serious problems connecting network share between win10 desktop and nucleus. Discovery ain’t workin. Using a home network.

Roon is on the win 10 desktop and was used before getting nucleus. Can’t acces my music files from desktop. Want to move to the ssd on nucleus.

Knowledge base not helpful

Can I speak to someone???

Installing nucleus and iPad ap is jhaving trouble updating and not connecting? It’s an iPad Pro.

Why is it doing this?

Via my iPad running the Roon app, I wish to restore a backup to setup Nucleus and need to access ext. hard drive connected to desktop.

The Nucleus manual is not helpful.

Can’t you do that from your desktop computer? I think you need to plug that external HD into your Nucleus USB port.

The roon manual about setting up nucleus is not helpful.

I need to transfer backup from Windows PC external drive to a new nucleus?
How difficult to do? Can I do this through the networked Ethernet cable?

Has anybody done this?

How do I get nucleus to browse the external drive so I can select the backup file??

The NAS guidance in manual is horrifying to follow.

Also, it might be easier if you disconnected the external drive from the Windows machine and attached it directly to the Nucleus.

That way, you don’t have to set up a network share on the Windows computer.

1 Like

*the guidance offered to achieve this is horrifying. Seems guidance should be better.

I guess attaching my external drive or thumbnail would be better. But why is nas conversion such a problem to figure out. Horrifying*

Precisely what is the problem? Does your roon core run on the nas? In that case:
1 back up the roon database on the nas and restore it on the nucleus.
2a. If you plan to keep your music on the nucleus, you can copy it across the network to the share provided on the nucleus. Then configure roon to find the music on the local volume.
2b. If you plan to index the music files on your nas over the networl, set up smb shares on the nas and point roon on the nucleus to that share. Presto.

1 Like

I have roon core on win desktop.
And just got a nucleus which I want as a core.

2a is a lot easier said then done. I wish I lived in your world.

It is not that easy to migrate data from a desktop.

Why is your post headed migration from NAS if you are using windows?

Richard_a,

If you want assistance, you’ll need to tell us exactly where you are getting stuck.

As you seem to be having problems, I’ve moved your thread over to #support.
It will be helpful if you could provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Hello @richard_a, I’ve merged your threads. It’s easier if we focus on your problems in one place.

I think it has been said a few times, unplug the external drive from your desktop computer and plug it into your Nucleus and do a Roon restore. That is, assuming you did a Roon backup from your desktop to the external drive.

Hi @richard_a,

Our Nucleus Migration Guide provides steps for this, I have copied them below:

Step 2: Restore Your Database

Now that your Roon database is fully backed up, it’s time to copy it to Nucleus.

To Restore Your Roon Database To Nucleus:

• Ensure the backup you created above is accessible to Nucleus
    • If you backed up to a USB drive, connect it to Nucleus (recommended)
    • If you backed up to network storage, ensure you know the address, log in, and password for your NAS or network storage device
  • Connect to Nucleus by launching Roon on any Mac, Windows PC, iPad, or Android tablet and selecting Nucleus from the “Choose Your Core” screen ( note: we don’t recommend using an iPhone or Android phone for this process )
  • Since this is your first time launching Nucleus, you will be asked to log-in when you connect. Instead of logging in, click “Restore A Backup” in the lower-left hand corner

The easiest way to restore the backup would be by using a USB flash drive, otherwise you will have to share the backup folder over the network and this can be a bit trickier to do:

1 Like