Nucleus intermittently loses connection

Hi @Larry_Gelman ,

I’ve merged your new thread into your existing thread so that we can have all the information in one place.

I looked over your case history and it does appear that the Ethernet is loose from our evaluation of the unit. This can certainly cause connectivity errors and make it looks as if the Nucleus is crashing, but in reality, it is disappearing from the network.

Since you have opted not to have the unit repaired, we can assume that this same behavior is happening on your end. One potential solution to the Ethernet port issue is to use a USB to Ethernet adapter, connect the adapter to the Nucleus and plug in the Ethernet cable to the adapter instead of the built-in Ethernet port. While we haven’t done thorough testing on Ethernet adapters, most popular one’s that advertise linux compatability should work, i.e: Amazon - Linux USB to Etherent Adapter

I would give the Ethernet adapter a try first, and then if you are still seeing issues we can circle back and take another look, thanks!

2 Likes

@noris. Thanks. I forgot to try the Ethernet adapter. Using it now and will report back

2 Likes

yes it would randomly reboot.
Advised by ROON to add RAM

@noris Hello. FYI the Ethernet/USB adaptor worked perfectly for ~5 days running. Experienced a shutdown yesterday and today.

Hi @Larry_Gelman ,

It looks like you have a lot of networking issues contained in the logs. When you were testing with the USB → Ethernet adapter, have you disconnected the other Ethernet cable that goes into the Nucleus port? Can you try to see if a different port/cable helps with the issue? What does the network setup look like, can you list the model/manufacturer of the gear?

Hi @noris. Yes I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the nucleus prior to trying the USB-Ethernet adaptor. I have the Nucleus connected directly to a FIOS G3100(which i replaced several months ago, when i first started having problems with the nucleus). When I have this “Reboot” i immediately check the router to see if 1, it has rebooted and if the devises that are connected are still working. Like i have said prior, why would a network issue power off the nucleus? Thanks for sticking with me.

Hi @Larry_Gelman ,

Do you see the light on the Nucleus turn off and then back on? I didn’t notice any reboots in the Roon logs, can you please provide a few timestamps (date + time of occurrence) when you see this issue occur next?

Hi @noris. Yes all the lights(power,ethernet and USB flash drive) turn off and reboot 5-10 min later. Last reboot happened ~28 hours ago.

Another crash. 5:15 6/11/22

Another crash. ~3.05 pm 6/12/22

This in what the back on my Nucleus looks like before rebooting up.

Next crash. 7:12 pm

Last post for me. 2 crashes since update to the latest(970) software. One @ 4pm and another @ 6:15 pm. Appreciate everyone’s help. On the better things. BTW how do i insure my auto renewal is off?

Contribution not wanted by the team.

Hi @Larry_Gelman ,

I wanted to check in with you here, I just took a look over your Nucleus diagnostics and it looks like the system has been without any crashes June 19th, have you noticed the same? I wonder if a change from Build 970 has helped with the issues on your end, in any case do let us know if the issue returns, thanks!

Hi @noris Thanks for checking in. Overall much more stable. I think i had a crash post 970, but i cant be positive. I’m up and running in at least ~5 days. I forced a reset due to purchasing a new Orbi mesh(to replace my old one. Nucleus is directly connected to Fios router). I was having a problem with the Nucleus not recognizing my Sonos/Apple products(my error) Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Glad to hear that there’s been an improvement here @Larry_Gelman ! Please do let us know if you run into further issues, but hopefully not :crossed_fingers:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.