Nucleus Internal storage for backups

Nucleus (OS Build 186/Server Build 537/Software Build 12)

I have changed from am external USB drive to an internal SSD drive that I just installed in the Nucleus. It has been properly formatted and enabled in the storage tab in the control app. When I try to select the internal drive as a backup location, the ‘Nucleus Internal Storage’ does not appear in the list. It must be added as a network share. Is a network share the only way to see the drive for a backup? If so, once I add it, do I create an additional folder and name it ‘Backups’ or do I use the storage folder? Thank You

I don’t think I can answer your question, but I wouldn’t do it that way. If your Nucleus crashes for one reason or another, you might need to use your backup to install and restore Roon on another device. Or, you might want to install it on another device for some other reason.

Roon comes with a small SSD for the Roon program and data. You can install another, larger SSD to store your music files in the Nucleus. I think it’s best to backup to a USB HDD that can be easily moved to another machine if wanted or needed.

Got it. Thank You. If I do not store or download any music and just use Tidal and Qobuz for streaming, Do I still need backups? Does Roon store my library info on their server?

Pls discard reply above.

If I do not store or download any music and just use Tidal and Qobuz for streaming, Do I still need backups? Does Roon store my library info on their server?

I’m not totally sure about that. I have my Nucleus do an automatic backup every other night and I keep the last 10 of those on a USB HDD. Since I started with Roon on my Dell laptop before I got the Nucleus, I occasionally do a restore to the Dell just to have a relatively current core backup available. It’s available if I want to use Roon when I travel.

Thanks. Trying to avoid anything external. Just more tidy looking.

Get a nice looking case for the SSD and lay it on top or behind your Nucleus.

If you do any editing, playlists, tags, etc. and want to save them. Then you need to do a backup. If you want to keep your play history, Then you need to do a backup.

You should never backup to a location that is being watch as a Roon Storage location. The external USB drive was capable of having part of itself NOT be a watched Roon folder. An internal drive does not have that option as Roon assumes it will all be music. Get a USB key to make backups to, or use, the old external USB drive.

That seems to be the general consensus. Will use USB drive for backup. Thank You!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.