Nucleus is a brick after software update [Resolved]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB to McIntosh

Description Of Issue
I did the software update on my Nucleus this morning and after waiting an hour and it not coming back up to any of the remotes I rebooted. I have done a couple of restarts now and none of the remotes can see the Roon any longer. Can someone help me troubleshoot?

I tried to connect to the Nucleus via the last IP address that I had for it and I am unable to talk to it there either.

Connect the nucleus to a display via the hdmi port. What does it say?

Sorry it took me a bit to get a monitor and HDMI close by. This doesn’t look good…
Thanks

PLN

Add images

Looks like there are multiple people out there with this issue. Some are showing resolved but no solution in the thread. I am guessing that support is walking through this with multiple one offs.
Thanks

PLN

The solution is posted in that thread.

yea reading about it now and the step by step… what a pain in the you know what! Thanks!

No doubt. (10)

1 Like

Hi,

Download and copy the following image to an USB: http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img.gz

Then, boot up from the USB following these instructions:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Recovery

I hope this helps. It fixed my problem.

1 Like

OK - stupid Nucleus question. The instructions say to hit F10. How do you do that with a box that does not have a keyboard plugged up to it? I have the USB drive created and plugged in but it goes straight through to the kernel panic before asking for recovery mode.

1 Like

:slight_smile: You would need a keyboard with USB interface. I had to search my friend circle and found one… It was an enlightening experience for me…

1 Like

You have to be kidding me… UGH! Thanks for the help!

Total fail ROON! #fail

1 Like

You need to connect a keyboard to the USB port of your NUC. No other way around it.

2 Likes

My feeling also, even though I did not experience this problem. Evidently, you need to go to Best Buy or WalMart, etc. and purchase a USB connected keyboard.

1 Like

Many many thanks to the Roon community for all their help today in getting me back going. After a trip to the office for an HDMI cable and a trip to Office Depot for a USB keyboard I am back up and going! Office Depot looked at me like I had 3 heads asking for a keyboard with a wire. :wink:

The good news… I now have a permanent HDMI cable plugged into my Nucleus in the event that this happens again AND I spun vinyl for the three hours it took to work through this. It STILL sounds better than the Nucleus.

Thanks again all!

Roon, please test your software more thoroughly next time. While I can appreciate that there is no way to test EVERY configuration possible, it should be at least possible to test the hardware that was bought from you directly which is why I went that route to begin with. Were I not relatively Linux / computer literate I would have spent hundreds of dollars with my audio visual support group for them to come fix this. That is just not right.

Thanks
PLN

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.