- Roon Nucleus w/external 8TB HD (USB) hardwired to the router
- Melco N1 (with 4 TB Drive) hardwired to the router
- 240,000 tracks mostly Lossless
- Macbook, iPad and iPhone all running latest software communicating to the Nucleus via WIFI
- Spectrum Internet 300MPS pipe / Wireless is logging 1-200MPS
- I continually lose connection to the Nucleus
- Some songs play through and stop after it’s over although there are plenty songs in the Que.
Any help would be appreciated. I’m starting to think I made a mistake with Roon.
Thanks for contacting support and sorry to hear about the frustration, I’d be happy to assist here. Can you please let me know:
- Does this issue occur for both Local Content and TIDAL content or just one of them?
- What is the full topology of your network? What is the model/manufacturer of your Router, any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?
- If your router falls under one that needs additional settings as per our Networking Best Practices Guide can you please try enabling that setting?
- How exactly are you loosing the connection to the Nucleus? Is your endpoint failing to play tracks or are you disconnected from the Roon Remote?
- Is your Melco DAC on the newest firmware?
Please let me know your findings to my above suggestions.
Hi Noris - answers in CAPS
Does this issue occur for both Local Content and TIDAL content or just one of them? BOTH
What is the full topology of your network? What is the model/manufacturer of your Router, any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect? THE ROUTER IS A NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK AC1900 (24x8)
If your router falls under one that needs additional settings as per our Networking Best Practices Guidecan you please try enabling that setting? WILL READ THROUGH BUT THE NUC IS THE ONLY COMPONENT WITH THESE ISSUES
How exactly are you loosing the connection to the Nucleus? Is your endpoint failing to play tracks or are you disconnected from the Roon Remote? ITS BOTH ACTUALLY; THE NUC DISCONNECTS (YELLOW/RED) NEXT TO IT AND GET A PROMPT TO "LOCATE A SERVER OR SOMETHING SIMILAR)
Is your Melco DAC on the newest firmware? THE MELCO; GERE’S THE LINK TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THE UNIT —https://www.melco-audio.com/products/discontinued-models/n1/.
THE TOPOGRAPHY IS SET SO THAT THE MELCO IS ON THE NETWORK; THE NUC PULLS THE MUSIC AS A NAS AND PRESENT IT TO AN AYRE QX5 TWENTY.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.
Forgot to mention that I didn’t have these issues when I was running server on my MacBook Pro via WIFI
Thank you for answering those questions. There are a few followup steps I would like to perform here:
Can you please confirm that you are using the newest firmware for the Melco DAC? I see on the downloads page that firmware version 3.80 is the latest one available, is this what you’re using?
Would it be possible to try another Ethernet cable that connects the Melco to your router?
Does this same issue still occur if you bypass the Melco N1 and connect your Ayre QX5 directly to the Nucleus?
I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time in your country (ex. 11:23PM) that you notice the disconnect. I can then take a look at the diagnostics received for that timestamp to see if there are any errors being outputted.
Please let me know your response to the above questions when possible and we can continue from there.
- switch cables (easiest of the suggestions)
- The Melco is NOT a DAC, it’s a NAS. The latest version is 3.8. Here’s a screenshot of the path. I’m happy to disconnect the Melco from the system BUT that’s where all of my music resides.
Let me know what you find.
P.S. Again, this didn’t happen when using my MacBookPro as the Roon server; this only happened after I switched to the Nucleus.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. We are going to try to reproduce this issue in our Lab to see if we run into the same issues, but while we are trying to reproduce, would you be interested in doing some additional testing on your end as to narrow down this issue?
This testing will entail temporarily starting with a fresh database for your Roon Library and the process is reversible. If you wish to perform this additional testing, please let me know and I can provide the exact steps needed.
Happy to help! Send over the instructions.,
I am joining this thread, as we have experienced similar issues. We sold this unit to Ken, and I want to make sure I am personally involved to facilitate as best as I can. Thank you.
Noris - I logged into the admin console and reset the Roon Database & Settings feature. I also rebuilt the server software so that It was a fresh build. I added both storage devices back into the system and it’s rebuilding the databases. To be clear, it’s to devices populating the database – a Seagate 8TB external drive + the Melco NAS.
Forgot to mention… the DB status before the re-build showed that it was at 80% of capacity. In typing this out I then realized that the problem may reside in the size of the DB and the amount allowed for it to process data. A larger DB size would give the roon the real estate to expand and allow for processes to continue.
Hello @Ken_Edwards & @ciamara,
Thank you for letting me know how your experience has been like and for performing the database reset. I would like to perform a test with a smaller database size and see if this might be a cause for the behavior you’re seeing.
With this test in mind, I kindly want to ask you to:
- Create a Backup of your Roon Database and save it somewhere safe
- Perform the Database Reset once more from the WebUI
- Add only a handful of tracks to your library (under 1,000) in your Roon Settings -> Storage Tab & optionally connect to TIDAL
- See if you still experience the same issue with the Nucleus disconnecting
Please let me know your findings from this test when possible.
will do Sunday night… again I think it’s the DB cache; it’s too small for processing large catalogs and hangs up, tries to clear and re-establish,
@noris- can you share your findings please and would like to know the results of the tap. Reason being, if there is more that just my observations then I’d hate to have to spend time testing a theory that may not be an issue.
P.S. @ciamara- thanks for staying involved.
The analysis from the QA team revealed that these crashes are fairly random and there is no clear indication as to why they occur yet. The QA team has noted that your RAM usage was high at the time of the crashes but that may have been a side-effect of something else.
We would like to confirm how the system stability is with a lower amount of tracks present in your library, ideally if you are able to make a backup and test with a fresh database and less than 10k tracks added to your watched directories and things are stable, that would give us a great data point. I will PM you and @ciamara the exact steps on how to perform this shortly.
Please let me know your results with the smaller library and I can get those findings and a new set of diagnostics over to QA.