Nucleus Locking Up Daily

Since the latest update to 1.8 build 988, I am having to unplug and reboot my nucleus daily or each time I want to use it. It works fine for a few hours and then come back the next day and it is not on the network.

Is anyone else seeing this? Solutions?

Thank you.
Pat

It’s unlikely to be a version/update problem or more people would be complaining.

That sounds like a hardware problem, how old is the Nucleus?

I wonder if the M.2 drive is on the way out . There have been a few examples on the forum of late.

I reboot my NUC daily (often 2 x daily) so I never see this issue.

One tip is to make sure your network is up and running (all lights on) before restarting the Nucleus. It need to often talk to mummy :joy:

2 Likes

When it locks up this is what I see on page for Roon. It would seem it’s talking to the network ok since I can get to this page.

It looks like your database could be corrupted, the image bottom left saying Not Ready.

Do you have a back up from before this started happening?

The M.2 drive holds the OS and the db so the corrupted db looks a good option

May be worth doing a restore and see if that helps . Do a BU before you try so you can restore your current state if it doesn’t help.

1 Like

Hey @Patrick_Nelson,

I wanted to check in on this issue since a few days have passed. @Mike_O_Neill is steering you in the right direction here, both with looking to load a database backup that predates the issues you’re seeing (but also creating a fresh backup prior to doing this just in case.)

If you’re still seeing issues, I’d then recommend setting aside the database and trying a fresh install of Roon. While it may resolve the issue entirely, it will primarily create stable conditions for further troubleshooting steps.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

Thank you both @Mike_O_Neill and @benjamin. I am sorry I have been out of the country for a week and just getting back with some time to troubleshoot. The oldest backup that I had was May 17. Since I am unaware of when the issue started I went to the oldest that I had. It failed the first time that I tried to install it but went through the 2nd try. We have rebooted with that database now and I will keep you posted on what happens with it today and tonight. Next step will be to try your fresh install @benjamin. Thank you again and stay tuned.

Well that did not take long. One hour in it locked up. I am moving on to @benjamin plan for reinstalling. Question: When I do that and we have determined at the May 17 backup is bad have I just lost all of my playlists and such? Thanks.

Pat

After doing the process that @benjamin laid out above the system locked up again about an hour into trying to set it back up. What’s next?

Thanks
Pat

Hi Patrick,

To me, that screen shot shows the Nucleus seems to be having serious issues. I would wait until Monday when the support team can respond.

Daniel

1 Like

Hey @Patrick_Nelson,

Thank you for the information above. It looks like you may have a failing SSD, in which our next steps will need to be communicated through a private message.

Please keep an eye out for a PM from me! :+1:

1 Like