Nucleus+ move music to Internal SSD

Hi @dylan, thanks for these clarifications and all your help.

As mentioned I will do the whole migration process again, over the next few days, and report back if I find any problems.

David

1 Like

I’ve just run into this issue and in looking at this thread I think that you’re either missing a step or doing two steps out of order.

Based on your description of your setup do the following in this order. This assumes that you’ve copied the files from the external drive already.

1. Restore your backup and re-launch the core. Based on your description the internal drive comes up as disabled at this point. That is what you want right now.
  2. If your external drive is enabled then let it finish scanning. Does your library look right with the correct albums, playlists, import dates, etc? If not then there’s something wrong with your backup and you’ll need to start with a fresh library.
  3. Turn off background audio analysis. This isn’t required, but it will speed up the import process.
  4. Disable the external USB drive. Your library should now be empty (or only showing Tidal albums).
  5. Enable the internal SSD drive
  6. Roon is going to go through an import process and it will likely show a lot of your albums as new. Let it finish.

Once the import is done your library should look just like it did with the USB drive. It may take a few minutes after the import is complete to rearrange things, but in my experience this process always works as long as you:

1. Start with a library the way you want it
  2. Disable the original storage device (you absolutely must disable the old device before you enable the new one. Even if you unplug the old device you still need to disable it in Roon’s settings.
  3. Then either edit the device (which you can’t do in this case as the InternalStorage device is a special case) or enable the new storage device that already has a copy of the music files in it.

Now re-enable background audio analysis.

EDIT: Once you’ve confirmed that everything is the way you want it you can delete the disabled USB storage device in Roon’s settings and do a library cleanup… then run a fresh backup.

Thank you very much for taking the time to send such a detailed post.

As I have said in previous post I shall be doing the whole migration, from my Mac Mini to the Nucleus+, again sometime next week and I will certainly take into account your findings.

Thanks again