Nucleus+ Needs Rebooting Every 4-5 days

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus+ / Serial #54B2038BD0A9 / Version 1.0 (build 219) stable / Version 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquity USG4 Router
Ubiquity Managed Switches (Switch48, Switch24, Switch8 (x2),
Ubiquiity AP-AC-PRO Waps (x5)
All Roon devices are on wired ethernet and use static addresses assigned by the network controller

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon endpoints are Raspberry Pi 4b (x3) and Raspberry Pi 3b (x3). 4 endpoints use Hifiberry DAC+ Pro HATS and the other 2 use Hifiberry Digi+ HATS

The endpoints are all running the latest builds of RoPieee

The endpoints are controlled by IOS devices, the PC app and are also integrated with a Crestron Control system (thus the need for the Nucleus+)

None of the endpoints use any DSP etc. Other than volume leveling on 4 of the endpoints (the DAC PRO+ units)

The library is stored on an external USB3 Western Digital Hard Drive (3TB)

The library has around 55k tracks and is all manner of FLAC, ALAC, DSD and MP3 files. The majority is CD level FLAC.

A Tidal account is also used.

Description Of Issue

For over a year, this Roon core database was running on a Windows 10 dedicated server machine (that also ran a Plex server) - rack mounted in a AC controlled equipment room. With the core on this machine, the Roon system (with all the same network equipment, topology and RoPieee endpoints) ran almost flawlessly (other than the occasional issue with Tidal - where you would need to sign out and then in again to Tidal - and all would be fine). The Roon Core was pretty much only ever rebooted when the Plex server needed to have Windows restated. Roon worked very well.

Fast forward to March(ish) 2020 - we decided to integrate the Roon system with our Control Systems - so we had a Nucleus+ brought in for us from our Canadian Distributor for Roon. The Crestron integration has worked very well. The Roon core was moved from the Windows machine over to the Nucleus+ - this all went smoothly. However, what we now are experiencing, is a Roon core that approximately every 4-5 days that needs to be rebooted in order to be able to use the system (this is from the Roon IOS app, the Roon windows app, and the Crestron control). Once the core is rebooted, it all comes back up right away and works without issue for another 4-5 days.

Things that go wrong relate mainly to the speed of the system in responding to almost all aspects of using the Roon system. From attempting to browse items, to getting music to play. It simply slows down to the point that you can’t use it (from any control interface). Once rebooted it runs flawlessly until it doesn’t after 4-5 days.

The last test I’ve done - I’ve had one endpoint (the other 5 idle) playing a shuffle of all Pop/Rock in the local library (no Tidal) and left it simply playing 24/7 without any interaction with the system. Played fine for 4 days, then all control of the system was gone. Rebooted. All good again.

We are a dealer in Canada and at this stage are evaluating the appropriateness of integrating Roon into our Crestron and Control4 systems. When it works and stays up - it is brilliant - however, this current need to reboot the core all the time is not a sustainable practice for our clients. When the core ran on the Windows 10 server - it was almost bulletproof. I am quite surprised that we are seeing this with a dedicated Nucleus. Perhaps it has to do with the database/core being moved.

Help would be appreciated.

Best,
James
Graytek
Vancouver BC Canada

What is the expected timeframe to receive help? Is there a better mechanism for dealers to get help?

Hi @James_Gray,

Thanks for reaching out, I’d be happy to assist you here!

Yes, we also have a dealer support system in place, I will send you the details over private message.
Do note that the dealer system only communicates between the dealer and the Roon support team, whereas posting your issue to this forum might get you quicker answers (and other users can also comment here with their feedback while your case reaches our support queue).

As for the issue in particular:

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date you next get into this state? I would like to enable diagnostics after getting a timestamp from you to see if the Nucleus is doing any heavy lifting in the background.

Instead of rebooting the entire Core, can you please check to see if rebooting just RoonServer via the Web UI has the same effect? This would be a good data point to have.

Thanks!

It appears that the Core is currently unresponsive (Friday July 10th 4:55pm PST). I won’t reboot anything until you ask me to.

Also - it is hit or miss if rebooting the RoonServer alone on the web interface restores things. Rebooting the entire Core always restores things.

Hi @James_Gray,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here due to the weekend.

I’ve enabled diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this does is automatically upload a log set.

I’m looking over the log set and I’m not noticing any issues at this timestamp, the Core appears to be working as expected.

If the system locks up again, can you please provide a new timestamp and let me know which Roon Remote you were using at the time? Perhaps the remote logs will contain other clues.

I understand that this network topology worked for a while, but you should also be aware that managed switches can sometime cause issues with Roon, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

If you have an un-managed switch you can try temporarily connecting the Nucleus + a Roon Controller to, that would be a good test to rule the managed switches out.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.