Nucleus+ Noise Reduction

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not it is better to use an internal or an external hard drive with my Nucleus+, from a noise reduction point of view, or whether or not noise is even a material problem or if it is, whether or not such noise can be reduced or eliminated later?

For example, would such noise be reduced later in my ethernet wired home network, because I have a noise reducing EtherGen ethernet switch that I am using with an After Dark Emporer Clock & linear power supply and After Dark upgraded master clock cable?

Interestingly there is an article in Stereophile magazine’s October 2022 edition by Jason Victor Serinus about the Norquest QNet network switch and Qsource linear power supply and cables being able improve sound quality even more even when used in conjunction with the EtherGen switch? The Qsource linear power supply has 4 outputs one of which can be used to the 19 v Roon Nucleus & Nucleus+ servers.

So far I have tried to pay attention to noise reduction in my music system. I have a Devialet Expert Pro 220 integrated amplifier along with Focal Kanta 2 speakers, a JL-Audio e-110 subwoofer and a JL-Audio e112 subwoofer all on an ethernet wired home network using Windows 11 operating system. For isolation I have IsoAccoustics GAIA II under my Focal Kanata speakers and similar IsoAccoustics products under my subwoofers and other electronic components. As mentioned I also have an EtherRen ethernet switch & am using it with an After Dark CLAYX giesmann OCXO 10 MHZ Emporer Signature Master Clock & After Dark Modenize LPS X2 Giesmann OCXO 10M edition linear power supply and After Dark black river series EVA Reference Carbon fiber woven master clock cable.

I have read a number of comments that music storage on hard drives ought to be removed from adjacent electronics in order to try to reduce noise interference that degrades music quality. Do you think that this applies to the Roon Nucleus+ server in terms of whether to use an internal or an external hard drive or can any noise problems be taken care of later by such things as switches?

1 Like

Unless it performs DSP, no piece of hardware in the digital domain can affect sound quality. Put your disk wherever you want and use regular switches and power supplies.

4 Likes

An internal SSD is tidy and mechanically silent. A lot depends where the Nucleus will be relative to your listening spot. Mine is in another room and can’t be heard even if it were noisy.

Electrical noise , many will argue. Roon recommend a split Server / End Point config with a simple Ethernet connection between them. Many find Managed Switches worse than simple cheap unmanaged switches. Ethernet split is the key IMHO

Personally I would go the internal SSD , I recently went NUC/ROCK with a 4Tb internal SSD . I have no complaints

If money is an issue, a USB external drive may have mechanical noise but relocating the Nucleus would fix that

Put lots of RAM in

Mine is a NUC 10i7 , 32 gb, 256 system SSD , 4Tb data SSD. Library is 150 k track . If that helps

3 Likes

Sure, but since you’ve already invested into “fringe” equipment the question is, which opinion you want to hear about to finally pull the trigger on whatever you’re eyeballing already.

If you’ve followed this and any other audio fora, you very well know that there’s a partisan war about these kind of topics ensuing whenever such a question comes along…

1 Like

@Greg_Johnson I can tell you that it’s all a matter of preference. In my case, I use external because it’s super convenient to plug it in elsewhere if needed.

The only two factors I took into consideration were noise and brand quality. If it doesn’t make noise and it’s a well-respected brand in the business; it works for most.

Regards,
Wes

2 Likes

I’ve had success with using a Western Digital 8TB My Book external desktop drive WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN wired USB. Extremely quiet. And easy to manage across the network. Drag and drop files w/o any problems.

2 Likes