Nucleus not out putting to usb after latest update

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus +

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Eero Mesh Network. Nucleus is connected via ethernet to the station.

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Gungnir DAC connected to Nucleus via USB.
Various Sonos units are connected via wifi network.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After the latest update, the Nucleus does not output to the Schiit Gungnir DAC via USB. The remotes on my iPad, iPhone, and Macbook all recognize that the DAC is a connected device and display that, when I press play, playback is happening but there is no sound from the DAC to my amp.

I connected my Macbook directly to the DAC via USB (disconnected the Nucleus) to make sure it was not the DAC. No problem with playback from local files on Macbook and no problem when using the Macbook as the Roon Remote when the Macbook is directly connected to the DAC via USB. So, there is no problem with the USB input on the DAC or my amp.

I can play via wifi to the various Sonos units connected to the wifi network.

I rebooted the Nucleus and restarted the Roon Server Software to no avail.

It seems like the USB output on the Nucleus is failing. But, all my Roon remotes recognize that the DAC is connected via USB and it “thinks” playback to being delivered when I play via all remotes. Just no sound.

1 Like

Similar problem

MacBook via usb dCS Puccini u clock - no output to usb

Anyone else ?

Room can you help ?

Just substituted new MacBook Air to confirm no issues with MacBook Pro - same story. Sound comes from MacBook speakers - can’t see dCS Puccini usb in sound preferences on MacBook.

This is so poor, new software, lots of positive rhetoric yet I can’t play music, basic flaws.

Welcoming comments and support Roon team?

It looks like we’re having a similar issue. But, in my case the Roon remote recognizes the USB DAC as a connected device I’m just not getting any sound from the nucleus to the DAC and ultimately to the amp. But all the other outputs are working as you have found in your situation. I can play via MacBook Pro speakers, Sonos, even the iPad with Roon remote plays properly. And my MacBook Pro also recognizes that the USB DAC is connected.

Thanks for reply

Likewise I can see the dcs Puccini clock and dac on the roon remote as a connected device and everything looks fine there but MacBook is not outputting via usb or connecting to the dac via usb.

Strange and obviously disappointing.

That’s weird. What I had to do on my MacBook is… on the Roon remote, I had to choose the MacBook as the zone, but on the MacBook itself, I set the output to the USB DAC. That’s the only way I got sound from the MacBook to the DAC. On the Roon remote on the MacBook, if I selected the DAC, it wouldn’t work.

Hey Support, no response? What gives?

Agree Steven

Support? What support ?

I would suggest 1.8 update not fit for purpose.

I updated to build 882, still having the same problem.

A post was merged into an existing topic: 880 update - dCS Puccini not showing up in Roon

Closing in favor of: