Nucleus Offline

@support

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus with no additional internal storage and latest software. Purchased a few weeks ago.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Third Floor: The Roon Nucleus is connected by CAT6 Ethernet cable to a Luxul 12-port/8 PoE+ Gigabit Managed Switch model AMS-1208P. I have a M1 Mac Mini acting as a Roon Remote (2020, 8 GB, OS Monterey version 12.2.1) connected by ethernet to the switch.

Ground Floor: The managed switch is connected by CAT6 Ethernet cable to a Luxul 26-port/24 PoE+ Gigabit Managed Switch model AMS-2624P. This switch is plugged by CAT6 cable to a Xfinity xFI Gateway Router model name CGM4331COM by vendor Technicolor.

Connected Audio Devices

The 2 USB ports on the back of the Nucleus are used by my Amicool USB External DVD Drive (Amazon) and a Seagate 5 TB external desktop HDD model SRD0NF2.

The additional Roon remotes for DACs, Amps and Sonos speakers are an iPhone 13 Max and a 2019 12.9 inch iPad.

Number of Tracks in Library

6000+ tracks

Description of Issue

My Nucleus is no longer able to be reached on my network tonight. I’ve tried to reboot the Nucleus when through the web interface but received a message that the reboot failed. The message said to manually reboot. I held the power button until the unit turned off, waited a few minutes, then restarted the unit. The Nucleus never reconnected to my network. I use Fing to locate the Nucleus, but see that the Nucleus is offline.

The Nucleus was purchased from RoonLabs’ online store on March 1, 2022. The unit’s serial number is 54B2039EE8E8. The unit was running normally until tonight 4/8/2022.

Please advise me about what to do next.

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,

I’m not with Roon support, but I hate to see a fellow Roonie having issues.

Can you move your Nucleus to a location where you can run an HDMI cable from it to a TV or display? When Nucleus boots, it may show status or error messages on the screen. If so, these may be very helpful for troubleshooting.

If you can take a clear photo of what you see and post it to this thread, you’ll be ahead of the game when Roon support returns on Monday.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try it.

Try searching the forum about managed switches.

I recall they can be an issue compto no managed switches

I am no expert

That’s a good point. It’s certainly possible to build a network that’s too “smart” for Roon. :slight_smile:

@David_Snyder @Mike_O_Neill

Thanks for the advice. I disconnected the Nucleus from the managed switch and connected it to an unmanaged switch without success.

While digging for answers, I found out that both my Nucleus and Naim Uniti Atom DAC/Amp share the same IP address. The Naim Uniti Atom was previously connected to my network by WIFI. After connecting the Naim device to Ethernet and trying a firmware update, the Naim device reconnected to my wireless network. I’m not sure that the Naim device actually needed a firmware update.

The Nucleus remains disconnected from the network. I’m very confused because I believed that the router assigned unique IP addresses to each device. I read that having devices with the same IP address would impair their network functions.

Hopefully, @support will have some answers.

What IP shows in the Nucleus GUI?

Maybe somehow a static IP got directly set on either the Naim or the Nucleus. That would be a problem.

Log in to your router software; probably at 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1. What are the devices’ IPs there? If both are being assigned by DHCP, then they won’t be the same, WiFi or Ethernet do not share any IP addresses.

I’ve used Fing and the Magnolia Care apps to identify the IP addresses. The Nucleus GUI is no longer able to be reached. Roon will not open on any of my remotes because they can’t connect to the Core. The IP address pulls up the Naim Uniti Atom.

I found the IP address of the router. I plugged that into my browser and got the login page. Unfortunately, my username and password don’t work.

Sounds like you might have never changed user/password.

If that’s true they might be admin/password.

If not, google your router and its manual will tell you the defaults.

Imterested in what your router thinks the IPs should be.

OTOH, your Nucleus Ethernet port may have gone south. There seems to a lot of that going around.

Switch the naim off completely and see if you can connect to the nucleus then.

1 Like

If you connect a monitor and keyboard up to the Nucleus what do you see? if you see information like it has booted you can reset the Nucleus network .

See below for steps

1 Like

@support

I have tried these steps. I get the following message when trying to connect to the Nucleus:

Safari Can’t Open the Page
The server where this page is located isn’t responding.

Does not seem like you have a boot device available (or it is not connected correctly, dropped during transport?)… hence the Nucleus can not boot - this might be due to corrupt M.2 SSD. @support

@Tor_Gunnar_Berland Thank you.

The Nucleus was working fine for a few weeks after I received it from Roon. It wasn’t moved. I haven’t added an internal storage SSD.

The Nucleus became unresponsive the day I reported the problem. I was adding a Raspberry Pi 4 to my system that day. The Pi has a micro SD loaded with RiopeeeXL and was connected to the original 7” Raspberry Pi display. I connected the Pi/display to my Topping D30 Pro DAC. When the Pi finished configuring Roon Bridge, the display showed an alert regarding failure to connect. I opened the Roon app on my iPad, and enabled the DAC in settings. After that, connection to the Nucleus was lost. @support

But when connecting the Nucleus to screen (HDMI), it does not boot, correct ?

Did you move or jostle the Nucleus? There’s something wrong with the M.2 drive that has the OS on it. It can’t boot. Nothing to do with adding an RPi.

Once I could not open the Nucleus GUI by entering the IP address in my browser address bar, I moved the device. When I connected the HDMI cable, there was no option to boot the device.

You can check if M.2 SSD is attached correctly. If everything is mounted correctly, you have to replace it.