Nucleus+ Performance and Function Issues (ref#Y243CV)

Affected Product

Nucleus

Nucleus Model

Nucleus+ Rev B

Description of Issue

My Roon nucleus+ is problematic. Every function doesn’t work as it should. I have to restart the machine every 20 hours in order to have a decent performance and even then it’s very slow… it freezes for seconds 30 sec or more in order to search my library or I wait 20 seconds to change a song in the same album. I have been testing the machine months now and I never managed to resolve any problem. The nucleus have failed all the tests. Eventually every experiment that I tried was a complete failure. Instead of listening music I have been a technician. When I boot the machine at first the performance is not very fast but at least I can browse my albums and
I don’t have to wait in order to listen to an album or a song. What I have noticed is that when I play a song for at least one minute and then try to play the next song it takes about 3 to 5 seconds.
It depends if I listen from my internal ssd or from tidal or qobuz. But the next day I have to wait 10 to 20 seconds. Then I would try to search for an album and I cannot see my album covers for at least 1 minute. It’s like the machine crashes.
Same thing happens when I try to add an album to my library from my streaming services…. I have tried everything. I now realize that my nucleus never work as it should. The only two times that it worked fine was when I reset my library and tried only my streaming content 2500 albums. And the second when I reset my library and used only the internal ssd with 7500 albums. Both times worked fine for ten days until Roon said that an update was available
When I tried to update everything wa exactly the same. Slow performance and all the problems that I describe. Maybe I was unlucky and bought a faulty product. I am very frustrated and disappointed. Can I send the unit for an I bought the nucleus+ in order to have a large library. My album collection is 10108 albums 129308 songs. It should be ok….

RAM & Internal Storage

32 gb

Connected Audio Devices

I have connected my nucleus to my Copland 205 Dac via usb and I have an Ethernet cable connected to my router. I use a Coctail XP50D as my main Roon end-point.

Home Network Details

I have a Sercom Speedport ICP Router with 4 gigabit ports. The router runs on DHCP mode. On each port I have connected the following equipment: D-LINK SWITCH 8 ports NETGEAR 8 ports TP LINK MESH NUCLEUS + The TP-LINK MESH is running in bridge mode, and that way it follows the DHCP addresses given by the ISP Router. In one of the ports of the D-LINK Switch I have connected a Coctail XP50D as my main Roon end-point.

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having performance issues with your Nucleus.

To confirm, if you create a fresh backup (or if you already have a recent backup) and completely disable your local library + perform a library clean up, do you still experience performance issues?

This would mean you’d only rely on your streaming content, which you mentioned above.

Do you also see performance issues when using the Search function?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply. Thanks!

Thanks for the response. First of all during these two days I setup as a Roon server a Mac mini 2014 i7 16 gb of ram. I connected two usb Lacie external drives 4tb each. The music library was 140000 songs. The performance and the overall experience was excellent. Today I changed my server to Nucleus. I disabled the internal ssd and I performed a library clean up as you suggested.
At first the performance was very slow so I rebooted the nucleus.
After that the performance was ok until I tried to add two albums to my library…. The nucleus was struggling. I would have to wait at least for 5 to 10 seconds in order to change a song or an album. During this I could see that symbol (a circle than was spinning every once in a while) which means that Roon was trying to add the two albums. After 10 minutes the nucleus became more responsive and fast again. The Mac mini performed as fast as nucleus with 140000 songs ( the nucleus now have 33294 songs) and the overall experience was excellent. There’s something wrong with the Nucleus…. Notice that I have tried to use external usb drives connected to nucleus and to be more specific two passports western digital and I experienced same problems over and over again….After 3 to 4 days I couldn’t execute any command. I couldn’t even browse my library. The only thing that I haven’t tried yet is to buy another modem router.

PS: The internal drive of the nucleus is a Samsung 8TB ssd

[quote=“VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS, post:5, topic:256391, full:true”]
Thanks for the response. First of all during these two days I setup as a Roon server a Mac mini 2014 i7 16 gb of ram. I connected two usb Lacie external drives 4tb each. The music library was 140000 songs. The performance and the overall experience was excellent. Today I changed my server to Nucleus. I disabled the internal ssd and I performed a library clean up as you suggested.
At first the performance was very slow so I rebooted the nucleus.
After that the performance was ok until I tried to add two albums to my library…. The nucleus was struggling. I would have to wait at least for 5 to 10 seconds in order to change a song or an album. During this I could see that symbol (a circle than was spinning every once in a while) which means that Roon was trying to add the two albums. After 10 minutes the nucleus became more responsive and fast again. The Mac mini performed as fast as nucleus with 140000 songs ( the nucleus now have 33294 songs) and the overall experience was excellent. There’s something wrong with the Nucleus…. Notice that I have tried to use external usb drives connected to nucleus and to be more specific two passports western digital and I experienced same problems over and over again….After 3 to 4 days I couldn’t execute any command. I couldn’t even browse my library.

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

Did you use the Search function to perform the above?

Please completely reboot your Nucleus twice, and me know if your problems persist.

Thanks!

I rebooted the nucleus twice and now everything seems to be fine for now… I have only my streaming services on and it’s easy to browse and navigate…

1 Like

It’s obvious that nucleus can handle 34000 songs or 2396 albums. But my library is 11000 albums…….

I see a massage that says that This topic will close 2 days after the last reply. What? Please advice. Give me more solutions about my problem

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

My apologies for any confusion here. Are you still experiencing performance issues?

Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Ok. Well. Right now I don’ t experience any problems and the main reason is that my library is significantly small. The only think that I noticed was that when I tried to add an album either from Tidal or from Qobuz the nucleus runs slow for a few minutes. The real problem occurs when I try to navigate my library using the ssd and the streaming services. Then with a total of 140000 songs the nucleus doesn’t work as expected. After two days of use It freezes and I will have to wait 10 to 15 seconds in order to change a song. The library freezes…when I try to browse my albums. Also if I “ll try to add an album the nucleus freezes and the only option is to restart the server or else I would have to wait for quite some time 5 to 10 minutes for nucleus to recover and be responsive again. The main reason than I bought the nucleus+ was to handle with no problems a big music library. The last thing that I tried was to buy extra ram 32 GB but I had no luck. Should I enable the ssd and check the performance them?

2/12/23, 2:45am Saturday
Artist: K.D Lang
Album: All You can eat
It took 5 to 7 seconds to skip a song because a few minutes earlier I add two albums in my library…

I am still using only streaming services.

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

Thanks for the update.

What is your current on demand audio analysis speed set to?

Were both albums from Tidal/Qobuz?

Lets clear your database Cache in the meantime:

• Stop Roon Server from running in the Web UI
  • Find and open your RoonServer database
  • Navigate to RoonServer/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon Server via the WebUI and verify if the issue still occurs

Ok. My on demand audio analysis is set to fast. I cleared the database cache as you said. I copied the cache file in my desktop and I deleted the cache in my nucleus. I restarted the Roon and today I added at least 10 albums in a row from both Tidal and Qubaz and I noticed that when I tried to browse my library every album had no cover. I restarted the app on my iPad and after this I was able to browse with no problems…… Please advice me what else to do.

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

Go ahead and set it to ‘off’ as well as the background audio analysis speed setting.

To confirm, you did not encounter any performance issues? If this is the case, the best next step for you would be to slowly add back portions of your library to test when performance starts to degrade.

With that, there are also known issues with search for which development is busy merging a fix. You should see significant improvement with search and RoonServer performance in the next several releases.

Hi. I set the demand audio analysis and the background audio analysis to off.

You said:
“To confirm, you did not encounter any performance issues? If this is the case, the best next step for you would be to slowly add back portions of your library to test when performance starts to degrade.”
I can’t add back portions of my library because if I enable the internal ssd drive the Roon will add 7500 albums….

Hi @VANGELIS_TZANAVARIS,

We’ve released an update that may help your performance issues. Go ahead and update your Nucleus and devices, and restore a backup to your original library, and let me know how things run. :+1:

Hi. I added the ssd to my library so now I have 10283 albums a total of 131896 songs. I cleared the cache again just to be sure and I updated the nucleus. The system is running for four days now and I have tested the roon continuously. An example: I wanted to listen to the latest Rolling Stone album. It took me 7 seconds to search the artist. 10 seconds to load the artist. 5 seconds to load the album and 3-5 sec to start play the album. It would take 2 sec to skip a song but If the song was playing for more than 1:30 seconds, then I would have to wait for 10 seconds in order to skip and listen the next track. This is what I mean when I say that the nucleus, at least in my case doesn’t work as it should…… If I try to add an album or many albums the roon doesn’t respond right. Sometimes it struggles and I would have to wait for some time. It depends. At one case I could see the spinning circe keep running for some 5 minutes. The only thing that runs very fast are the sub category’s, the type of music. I cannot understand why .And to be more specific If I choose an artist the photo of the artist appears instantly but the text appears after 10 sec…… Any suggestions?

A quick update. Room is on for 4 days and 17 hours now and everything is wrong. It takes 10 to 15 sec at least to execute any command. Play an album, choose a song, navigate…… For example I was listening to an album and I tried to listen to another. I pressed play and I waited for 10 sec to hear music stops and another 15 sec to start the music again. The nucleus is practically unusable at this point. I won’t reboot the unit just to see how much worst can it get….