Nucleus Plus internal Music Drive

Hello. I am buying a Nucleus Plus in the next couple of months, let’s say Christmas.

I plan on buying without the internal storage and installing the drive I am currently using for this purpose in my Mac mini Roon Core.

I know I have to off load the music, reformat the drive, then repopulate the music once I’ve set up the Nucleus Plus. My question is the viability of using the drive, it’s a 2.5" 7mm Seagate FireCuda…this is it:

Thoughts?

That should be absolutely fine. I bought a Nucleus several months ago and installed a Samsung SSD (860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III), formatted it, and started copying flac files over the network share. Everything works perfectly!

Thanks for your response. The Samsung EVOs are what I’m looking at for when I go full SSD.

I’m just wondering if I can use my current SSHD hybrid drive for a while longer to save a few $$!!

Oh, sorry. I didn’t even notice your drive is a hybrid. Interesting question! But I don’t know the answer. You can always just try it. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Yeah, I think I will be trying it regardless seeing as 1. I already have it, 2. it’s currently working well, and 3. it’s not even half full yet!

Providing it will physically fit inside I see no reason why it should not work just fine.

It’s 7mm so it’ll definitely fit. Once I have the Nucleus, I’ll definitely start with this drive and upgrade later on if/when necessary.

1 Like

It will work fine

Skjermbilde 2021-12-29 kl. 18.44.41

Samsung SSD 870 is perfect for music - fast, large capacity and “cheap”. Optimized for reading, with some limitation on writing (hence don’t use this kind of SSD for Windows swap-file ;))

This is the one I bought and installed in my Nucleus. Works well.

1 Like