Nucleus plus producing loud static noise periodically when no music is playing

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus plus Rev B.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Mcintosh MCD12000 via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

I have been using the Nucleus mostly to stream from Qobuz and Tidal.

Description of Issue

I am hesitant to test this situation further, but ever since the last update to v 2.0 build 1148. serial number 54B2030BBADE, my Nucleus plus emits noise periodically on the usb outputs. It does not make a difference which usb socket is used. I don’t think this occurs when music is playing.

Hey @Eric_Hayes,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, if you can please take note of the date and time the next time this happens and share that information here, that would be helpful (and if music is playing or just finished playing, taking note of the track would be helpful as well.)

I would give your router and core a hard reboot in the meantime to see if that helps :pray:

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

I have tried re-booting everything and various other things. Here is what happens: when no music is playing, the display on my DAC will show “USB —”, then every 15 seconds or so one channel will show fairly loud (shows -25 dB) noise and the display will change to “USB DSD 64”, the noise will then switch to the right channel and then it stops and the display returns to “USB —”. This pattern repeats itself about every 20 seconds as long as there is no music playing.

I don’t know for sure if this noise is present when music is playing but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t happen when there is any music playing

Hey @Eric_Hayes,

Thanks for the additional information! I’d like to rule out a few things:

1. Do you by chance have another DAC you can test with your Nucleus? Or, Test the DAC on another device/core?
  2. Does this happen only when playing local content? Does it happen only when streaming content from Qobuz/Tidal?
  3. Are you switching between different sample rates often? Do you see it happening with a specific sample rate?
  4. Are you using any DSP?

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

I perhaps need to look at some of my audio settings.

I changed the Audio setting in the MQA section to Decoder and Renderer. I think this means my MCD12000 will be fed MQA data where it will be unfolded and rendered, but I am not sure I understand if this setting means the nucleus or the DAC will do this.

I have the DSD section in Audio set to “initial dCS method”. This presumes my MCD12000 will play native DSD files.

I also don’t really have any need for ARC functionality. Could I simply turn off that capability in Roon 2.0?

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have this problem too. I have not figured out what the issue is. Do I need to replace my Nucleus plus? The MCD12000 does not do this when I use my Innuos Zenith Mk3 streamer with this system. Also, if I connect my Nucleus plus to my Esoteric K-01Xs, this problem does not occur.

Perhaps I need a Lumin or HiFiRose player? Evidently the Nucleus is incompatible with the MCD12000. Do I need ro replace the board in the Nucleus?

Hey @Eric_Hayes,

I’ve reopened your previous thread to continue troubleshooting your issue with the MCD12000. Could you please bring your Nucleus online so we can enable diagnostic mode to take a closer look at what might be going on?

With that, if you could share a more detailed step by step on how you arrive at the issue, that would be helpful too.

Thanks! :+1:

I have connected my Nucleus+ to the MCD12000 via USB cable. When I power on the MCD12000 and select the USB input there is noise on the output. It sounds like static noise. This noise will stop once music is played.

It happens with all settings I have tried. I don’t use any DSP.

Hi @Eric_Hayes,

Thanks for the update! We were able to take a look at the Nucleus diagnostic and see traces that point at the MCD12000 sending incorrect machine info to Roon, potentially resulting in this issue.

One method to correct this would be to update or reinstall the most current firmware version on the device. Alongside the main firmware, please make sure the DI firmware is also up to date.

To see the Digital Input (DI) firmware version, enter the Setup Menu. Rotate the Left Knob until you see “DI FW”. The number following the V to the right is the Digital Input firmware version.