Nucleus Plus, 32gb RAM, 458 gb Database and settings

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Luxul XGS-1008/Sagemcom FAST 5364 , Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Linn Klimax DSM, controlled via iPad

Number of Tracks in Library

645,000/168,000

Description of Issue

Roon has never been as stable as I would have liked but I presumed this was because I have a very large library. I rarely got through 48 hours without a crash.
Over recent weeks though, it’s got noticeably less reliable. I’ve followed all the suggestions eg delete orbit_v3.db, renaming RoonServer folder to RoonServer_old etc. I’ve also replaced my Ethernet cable. Finally I have disabled the QNAP which holds the bulk of my files, hence the two figures for number of tracks.
Sadly the smaller library lasted for 17 minutes before crashing. It then reset and was stable for 17 hours but has just crashed again.
Support assistance would be very welcome

being a long holiday weekend you might have to wait till early next week for a reply. Hang in there.

@support No response to date. Problem remains, at least three crashes in last 24 hours. Hope to hear from you soon

@support come on guys this is your hardware and software…show some love.

Anyone who can afford to spend over half million dollars on music should be able to afford a more powerful server to run Roon Server. Nucleus+ scales to ~250k tracks. Beyond that, you’re looking at a bespoke solution.

Since you have experienced many crashes, there’s a good chance that these have corrupted your database. Here are some instructions on how to move your database out of the way (in case DB corruption is what is causing the crashes):

1. Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI

2. Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location

3. Find the folder that says “RoonServer”

4. Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”

5. Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder

6. On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

7. Restore a backup

Before you add the rest of your library back to the system, I’d suggest having a new server built using a desktop i9 processor.

3 Likes

Hi @jsmla,

I apologize for your wait in hearing back from us and appreciate your patience and courtesy. @David_Snyder’s suggestions are a great starting point. Those steps will allow us to see if a fresh database gets you going again.

If it is successful you can then attempt to restore a backup to replace any playlists and customizations you’ve made in Roon. Please let us know if this helps! Thanks

Hi @jamie
Thanks for getting back to me. I thought I’d made clear in my original post but to confirm, I’d already taken the steps outlined in David_Snyder’s reply before I asked for help from support.
I’ve subsequently tried slowing the On-demand audio analysis speed setting to throttled from fast (Background audio analysis speed was already off) but my hope this might have made a difference was short-lived.
I don’t know if it’s of any significance but recent crashes have all occurred when I’m not actually using Roon. This morning I noticed it had crashed after being up for 8 hours and then again about an hour later.
Given your COO posted recently re capacity of Nucleus Plus ‘ you can easily go to 300k-400k, and possibly even 500k. after 500k, we’ve seen it work, but it’s probably worth a ram upgrade. about $70 and 3 minutes of effort to get to about a million tracks.’ I continue to hope I can get to a stage when I have a stable experience with Roon.

Sounds more like a hardware issue if the 168k version of the library is also crashing, as 32gb on a nucleus plus should run that version with no issues.

Maybe @support need to look at your logs.

Hey @jsmla,

My apologies for any misunderstanding, I wasn’t suggesting that you migrate to another server over Nucleus. I meant that his recommendations for setting the database aside were a good start. I’ll pull logs and see if we can figure out what’s happening.

Hi @jamie
Thanks-if it helps, looks like most recent crash was at around 16.09 BST

@jsmla,

Can you please post a screenshot of your Nucleus WEBUI?

Hey @jsmla

Thank you, please try the following steps, ensuring that you don’t overlook the Roon OS reinstall.

• Create a fresh backup
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Reinstall Roon Os from the WebUI
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • If everything starts up as expected Restore your Backup prior to the issue starting
  • If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

Please let us know if this helps! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Jamie
I did this before contacting you but happy to try again.
I’ll let you know how I get on

I have a similar behavior on nucleus (not plus) with a modest songs collection.

Roon server unpredictably crashes and the endpoints show the seeking animation.

Could this be a bug in the current version of roon?

Hi @jamie
I’ve gone through the steps outlined above but as I feared it hasn’t resolved the issue. Having loaded the new backup, I’m getting crashes every few minutes as my main QNAP is being scanned. In the past I’ve found the only way to get a workable set-up is to reset the database and start afresh.
One other thing to mention-the Roon Labs Software is showing an incorrect time of running. I’ve had this before and a reboot seems to reset it. May be of no significance but thought worth mentioning.

Hi @jsmla,

This would seem to indicate that Roon OS was not reinstalled in the previous steps I sent. Can you confirm that you reinstalled Roon OS?

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 12.26.09 PM

Hi @jamie
I carried out the process twice because I realised after the first time that I had indeed neglected to reinstall the OS.The screenshot was from the second time, when I had ensured I had done the reinstall correctly.
If it’s helpful, I can repeat the whole process (although doing a new backup could be tricky at the moment as the software has been crashing frequently through the afternoon)
Please let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to try.

Hey @jsmla ,

You are running a pretty large library, but there does appear to be some strange behavior in your logs that look like abrupt crashes. We’ve asked the QA team to review your logs and will let you know once we have more, thanks in advance for your patience here.

1 Like

Hi @noris
Thanks for this. I’m actually relieved there appears to be something odd going on. I’ve pretty much got used to having to reset my database every few weeks to keep a useable system so the news your QA team are going to investigate further is positive news. Look forward to hearing back in due course.

2 Likes