Nucleus Questions

I am considering purchasing a Nucleus once it is available and I have a few questions. I am a novice compared to others on this forum so I hope to get clarity on a couple topics. My current set up has my Roon core residing on a laptop with an Auralic Aries running a coax to my processor. My music files reside on an external drive connected to the laptop.

My plan is to have Nucleus connected to my processor via HDMI and to connect my external drive to the Nucleus. I would assume with this set up I will no longer need the Aries?

With this set up how would I add new music? Could I do so over WiFi or would I need to run an ethernet cable to the Nucleus?

I currently back up my music to the cloud via BackBlaze. I assume I can continue to do this with the Nucleus set up?

The final question may be more difficult to answer. I know that Roon is working on a longer term solution to allow listening to a Roon library at work as well as in the car. A Nucleus purchase is large enough that I would hope it would fit into whatever solution winds up being devised vs being made obsolete. Is this a safe assumption?

Hey @BostonX, I noticed you hadn’t gotten a response to this so I figured I’d hop in.

My plan is to have Nucleus connected to my processor via HDMI and to connect my external drive to the Nucleus. I would assume with this set up I will no longer need the Aries?

Unless you’d like to use the Aries for another room in your home, that’s correct!

With this set up how would I add new music?

You can simply drag and drop music files into Roon from your laptop. Roon will copy these files to the USB drive attached to Nucleus.

If you’ve configured Roon to watch music in more than one folder on your USB drive, Roon will ask which folder you want to save to, and then copy your files to a ‘Roon Imports’ folder.

I currently back up my music to the cloud via BackBlaze. I assume I can continue to do this with the Nucleus set up?

You sure can. The external USB drive attached to Nucleus gets exposed to your network, so you can access it from your laptop without interacting with Roon at all. This would allow you back up your music to another location, as well as control the folder hierarchy manually (not using drag and drop for importing).

A Nucleus purchase is large enough that I would hope it would fit into whatever solution winds up being devised vs being made obsolete. Is this a safe assumption?

Absolutely! Nucleus plays a big role in our future, and planned obsolescence is not a part of our strategy – we genuinely want the best solution for our customers now and in the future.

I currently use both roon and iTunes (iTunes for office system, downloading to iPod, etc). Roon simply watches my iTunes music folder on my NAS at home and it works flawlessly.

In the Nucleus with attached USB hard drive set up described here, is there any reason that the USB drive attached to the Nucleus couldn’t be my iTunes library? In other words, I would transfer my iTunes library to the USB drive attached to the Nucleus, tell Nucleus to watch that drive, run backups off that drive, etc and eliminate need for separate NAS drive for music?

Yes, Nucleus can act as a “micro NAS” in that manner. I mentioned this here (search for “micro”)

9 posts were split to a new topic: Nucleus + USB regenerator?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.