Nucleus+ Roon Server continuously rebooting

@dylan, I had 4 watched folders on my nucleus+.

• my main music library on the internal nucleus+ ssd
  • my iTunes, HDTracks and QObuz folders where music I bought on iTunes, HDTracks and QObuz gets stored. I would eventually move music here into the ssd and delete from these folders but watched it from Roon as I wanted it to appear ASAP in roon. These folders reside on my Mac Pro.

I had already started the loading of music off the ssd into Roon last night before I got your last post and It has loaded and currently 1/2 of it is analyzed and so far roon is stable. There is only a small handful of albums in these other transitional folders but I’ll load one at a time and see what happens and let you know…

@dylan,

One of the things that will be frustrating about this reload and re-analysis of all my files (and that is assuming roon works properly after) is that I had added literally hundreds of artist photos. Is there any way to resurrect them or are they lost? If the latter is there a way to add them to the files themselves and tag them appropriately (along with album art) so that they can be used and not lost again if this process has to be repeated?

Hi @Craig_Palmer,

There is no way to recover those types of edits without restoring a backup. Once all of the media is imported, we will be able to see if this was a problem with that specific database or, if the behavior starts occurring again, if this is media related.

If it’s media related, which is the current theory, we can identify the media and remove it so the crash stops occurring (and get the media over to the team to look at).

Artist photos cannot be added via files, however, so there is no alternate way to add them except directly through Roon.

@dylan,

Super bummer on the artwork. Hours of work lost…

In any case. All the music (about 75K tracks) on my ssd is loaded and analyzed and I’ve been playing music on my system in multiple zones for a few hours with no issue. I had no skipped files with problems in the reload.

I’ll be busy tomorrow but on Thursday I’ll move the nucleus+ back to its rack and load the 20 albums that are in the itunes, qobuz and tidal download watched directories. We’ll see if that causes issues but increasingly unlikely…stay tuned.

Hi @Craig_Palmer,

If this issue doesn’t return with the new database, we are hoping that you could send us your backups folder from the previous database so we can take a look — Thanks!

@dylan ,

Had time last night to load the last 20 or so albums with no issue and roon continues to be stable. Won’t get to putting the nucleus+ back in the rack until tonight or tomorrow am, but the only thing that could go wrong with that setup would be a bad lan cable or switch port and the odds of that causing the issue are pretty slim IMHO.

I’ll send you a Dropbox link to the now old backup files for you to look at… It’s a pretty big directory with 10 or so backups … have fun. But would sure love to know how the db got borked,…,

@dylan

PM’d you the dropbox link to my backup files.

Thanks, @Craig_Palmer — I’ve passed the link you’ve shared along to the team so they can look into this. Please leave the files available in Dropbox while we do so. I’ll be sure to follow up as soon as we have more info.

Hi @dylan ,

Ok, the Nucleus+ is now back in the rack with the same network setup, the same usb backup stick, the same endpoints, the same master music files loaded on the same internal SSD. Only difference is I lost any edits and any added content (like artist photos) that were added to the files from roon. Everything is stable so far. Very mysterious on what went wrong. Curious to see if you guys find anything in your dig through my backups…

Thanks for confirming this, @Craig_Palmer, and I’m glad things are stable for you currently.

I currently have a ticket open with our technical team to do some further investigating into the backups that you shared with us and I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as I’ve heard their findings.

Curious @dylan if you guys found anything concrete in my log files that could have cause my issue? My Nucleus+ has had not issues since I rebuilt it and I’ve played for dozens of hours including almost all day with 8-10 zones grouped…

Craig

Hello @Craig_Palmer,

I wanted to reach out to you because @dylan is currently travelling, and I will be continuing your case while he is away. I spoke to the QA team regarding your Dropbox upload, and they have unfortunately not been able to download the backup due to the size restriction on Dropbox.

Can I please ask you to create a .zip archive of the backup and upload it once more? If the archive is larger than 2GB, we should split them into 1.5GB chunks using a program similar to 7zip for Windows (this program is free). We have outlined how to perform the split of files on our Upload Database Documentation.

We can’t say for sure what exactly was causing difficulties with your previous setup but are hopeful that the backup will clear things up a bit. Please do let me know if you are able to upload it then feel free to PM me a link directly. Thanks!