Nucleus+ Slow to Boot

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’m having trouble with my Nucleus+ rebooting. If I ever have to restart the Nucleus, it may take anywhere where from several minutes to a couple of days to complete its restart.

While booting, I’m unable to connect to the device via a browser and there is no video output on either HDMI port.

I’ve seen on other post this may be an indication of a failing boot SSD drive.

Is there a way to check the condition of that drive or file system?

If this is an early indication of a failing drive, I’d like to replace it ASAP. I’m concerned the device just won’t come back and I’ll have a bricked Nucleus. I’d also like to prevent having to send the device in for repair, if possible.

Thanks.
Jay Kempton

Library size?
Storage type - SSD NAS ?
Network details

All will help with informed advice :sunglasses:

Thank you.

Library size is right under 10,000 songs.
Storage is whatever SSD drive Roon uses from the factory for a Nucleus+. I do have a Samsung 860 4TB drive for music storage installed in the Nucleus+. No problems with the Samsung.
Network is unremarkable. Akronis POE 24 port gig switch. Nucleus+ is connected directly to the home LAN.

I am not aware of a means to check the SSD, but it’s easy to change.

If you connect a monitor on HDMI can you see anything ? , if not it probably hardware. You should see a boot screen

Where is the Nucleus on guarantee, if it’s expired a 256gb SSD Is relatively cheap and can be swapped out easily , it’s literally one tiny screw,

You can then treat the Nucleus as a NUC and install ROCK to get going. Roon techs will remote in an install the true Nucleus OS once it’s working. ROCK is not quite the same OS.

There is a detailed ROCK install guide, the Nucleus is just a NUC in a fancy case with fancy OS

Okay, very good. NO output on either HDMI when its in this extended boot process. Purchased in 2020, so I think I’m out of warrantee. I’m more than willing to replace the boot SSD. Does ROON have any SSD recommendations for a 256gb SSD? Brand and model?

What is #support:nucleus-support thoughts on an SSD recommendation to replace a failing Nucleus+ boot drive?

Samsung is normally a good bet , my big SSD is Crucial because I couldn’t get Samsung . that has been fine, I think my 256 is Kingston

I am no expert but I suspect there’s little between the big name brands

Thanks, Mike.

Any recommendations from @support ?

Hey @Jay_Kempton,

Can you connect a monitor to it via HDMI and see what is being displayed on the screen? Just take a photo and post here if you would.

If nothing is on the screen, it could be a failing motherboard but please do attempt to power cycle it and see what we can find out based on what is displayed.

Thanks,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.