Nucleus Specification and LPS Options

HI Danny

I am looking into buying a Nucleus having seen one at the Sound and Vision Show in Bristol UK. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of a decent web page, specs etc. Why might I need these I hear you ask? Well 1. I want to put an internal SSD inside it to store my music, I just need to know the specs/size. 2. I’d like to add a linear power supply (I think it was mentioned when the Nucleus launched last year). The Sbooster guys in Holland reckon their BOTW P&P ECO 18V – 19V will do the trick (https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-18-19v/), what do you reckon?

What’s product availability like?

Thanks

William

I’m writing a manual with all this information right this moment. I hope to be done in the next day or so. It’s started at https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Manual

The Sbooster will work, people are putting 2tb and 4tb 2.5" 7mm SSDs into the device succesfully.

Our power supply will work fine, so you can either use the PS that comes with it or get a Sbooster. Our PS will have an industrial design to match the Nucleus itself.

In the UK, Henley is doing distribution, and you’d have to check about availability. They ordered a lot of units though.

2 Likes

When will your LPS become available for the Nucleus?

Hey Steve,

‘When it’s done’ is the best answer you are going to get here, I’m afraid. As with software, in hardware development there’s many things that could influence production times (perhaps even more since third parties are involved).

That’s why Roon does not offer timeframes for features (or hardware). The few times they did in the past did not end well: with expectations rising high, so was disappointment when the indicated timeframes were not exactly met.

Expect an announcement as soon as it’s done. Or get an Sbooster PSU – they’re really nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK I’ll bite - which model?

Sbooster recommends the 19V model for use with a NUC (which is at the heart of a Nucleus):

https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-18-19v/

They appear to be on sale at the moment, with a MKII refreshment of the entire line coming up. No dates for that as well, it appears :wink:

I got a 6V model for my Microrendu (it ran too hot at 9V while feeding the DAC) and a 12V for my headphone DAC/AMP (Meridian Prime) with great results – my HP setup is dead quiet now (except for the music ;-)).

Thanks for the details. I have been using the Sonore Signature LPS with my microRendu in my home theater system. Much better than the UpTone LPS-1.

Guess I’ll wait for the Roon alternative since it will be designed to be used specifically with the Nucleus and match it’s construction/case style.

3 Likes

Danny, could you clarify if a better PS will help when ONLY using ethernet and not using USB to connect directly to a DAC.

Thanks

No, don’t waste your money on a fancy power supply for the Nucleus when using network endpoints; it won’t make any difference whatsoever. Frankly, you’re probably wasting your money even if you connect the endpoint directly to the Nucleus via USB or HDMI…

It might make a difference. Ethernet passes on high impedance noise through the transformers. If you are not using a switch or the switch you are using does nothing to stop the noise, you may find an LPS to improve sound quality over the standard SMPS.

1 Like

I follow the same John Swenson posts about leakage.

But from Rob Watts (Chord) some linear PSU’s can be poorer at mains RF filtering than SMPS’s.

So a linear PSU isn’t automatically better than an SMPS. Like everything, it depends on the design, case by case.

1 Like

So to find good LPSU :wink: . This Teddy Pardo is better than Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO MKII for same money and such Teddy Pardo is suitable for any NUC (not only maximum for 7i5, but also for 7i7BNH ).

1 Like

Ethernet is already transformer isolated. I am going to go with “no” on this one. And I recon most people using Roon are doing multi-zone, and so there will be a switch involved as well.

1 Like

I certainly don’t feel the need to use an LPS with my sonicTransporter i5 as the switch I use blocks the vast majority of high impedance noise the Ethernet transformers do not block.

I would use a quality LPS on the Roon endpoint feeding my DAC, however. For example, if I were using a Sonore ultraRendu, I would be using my 7v Teddy Pardo LPS to power the ultraRendu.

I think the Teddy Pardo is under spec for the nucleus.

Thanks for all the replies - My view/gut feel is that ONLY using Ethernet per above no hi-grade PS is required, however if you plan to plug a DAC directly in then it would be of benefit.

Just as an aside - I suspect a good grade Ethernet cable will help at the Nuclues to Router end and obviously at the Roon end point.

The higher output model @Katun linked would be fine:
https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/teddy19-3.html

I would say it could be of benefit, rather than would - very much depends on all components in the system and interactions and whether this results in any audible difference. If you can buy a linear PSU risk free (with a full refund on return) to try in your own system, that’s ideal. I think Teddy allows returns - check with him.

If I had to guess (I have no expertise), I’d guess that Teddy and sBooster do pay attention to the important stuff like RF filtering and low leakage currents etc.

If you mean an audiophile ethernet cable it could make things worse if it’s shielded and the shield allows for a nice ground / leakage current loop through your DAC …

The most I would ever spend on an ethernet cable is the Belden 10GX series Cat 6 (unshielded) cable, which is what Blue Jeans Cable use for their Cat 6 cable.

1 Like

Had no idea about the above … Thanks

I have an NAA, SOtM 200 Ultra Neo which then connects to Broklyn DAC+

I will have a Nucleus+ by the end of the week … hence all my questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries at all. Note I said it could make things worse, not would. Very system dependant.

Very nice gear there, all round.

Spec of Teddy Pardo 18/2 is fully complies with the spec of Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 18-19V MKII i.e. 36W

The BOTW P&P ECO 18-19V has a maximum continuous output rating of 36W. Please use following guidelines to determine the power consumption of your system.

but the noise level is less and the quality is better .

The BOTW P&P ECO power supply can be used as an upgrade for PC based systems that have a processor with a TDP of max 25W. There are over 200 Intel processors on the market that meet this requirement, see Intel
The “N”, “J”, “i3” en “i5” and “i7” Intel processors can be powered by the 18-19V BOTW P&P ECO, I.e.:
Type NUC Processor
N
Intel NUC NUC5CPYH Intel Celeron N3050
Intel NUC NUC5PPYH Intel Pentium N3700
Intel NUC NUC6CAYH Intel Celeron J3455
i3
Intel NUC DC3217IYE Intel Core i3-3217U
Intel NUC D34010WYKH Intel Core i3-4010U
Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH Intel Core i3-5010U
Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH Intel Core i3-5010U
Intel NUC NUC6i3SYH Intel Core i3-6100U
Intel NUC NUC7i3DNXX Intel Core i3-7100U