Nucleus stuck on Roon 1.8, but remote updated to 2.0

Roon Core Machine

Are you talking about my Nucleus or my Mac? Why can’t you ask a CLEAR question?

Networking Gear & Setup Details

The problem is with Roon software, NOT my computer or my network.

Connected Audio Devices

My ethernet network is fine

Number of Tracks in Library

Lots

Description of Issue

Roon updated THREE DAYS ago and left me with Roon 1.8 on my Nucleus and Roon 2.0 on my M1 iMac. Roon is not working and I have no idea or any coherent advice from the “Roon Community” about how to get started again. Some actually support would be welcome.

A lot of people have had problems.

Did you read this -

I certainly tried to read that but I can’t make sense of it. I’ve been trying for three days but logic disconnects and terminology ambiguity have kept me from even understanding what happened much less what to do about it. I did get an iPad set up with Roon 1.8 Legacy (NOW called "production 1x) and I have access to a fraction of my database. I’m waiting for some coherent ENGLISH assistance.
Thanks,
Mike

Tagging @support for you. :laughing:

Hi @mnilan,

The nucleus is your core and I believe it just needs to be updated. A small number of Nucleus users were inadvertently changed to a lower version. This link takes you right to where you need to be to fix your problem. If something isn’t clear, please ask questions.

If this doesn’t work, can you please complete the rest of the data above so we can better assist you? I know you don’t believe it’s relevant but we ask because most times it is. I’ll wait for your reply and will happily assist you further.

Wes

@Wes_Campbell:

I have looked at this file several times and it still makes NO SENSE to me. For example, the first line of where your link takes me says: “1. Go to the /Data/ share” and the “instructions” do not make that any clearer.

How is this advice useful to me? How do I get Roon 2.0 onto my nucleus? I need PROCESS, i.e., steps that are clear and make sense.

NOT HELPFUL!

Mike Nilan

Perhaps this article may shed some light on how you can access the Data directory in your Nucleus?

@Wes_Campbell

Here are the data you requested:

Roon Core Machine

My Nucleus is a “Rev B” runnimg Roon 1.8 (build 1126) Legacy or “production1x”

I have no idea how much ram it has. I bought it from Definitive Audio new, configured however Roon Labs configures their machines. Its OS is Version 1.0 (build 227). It is running Roon Labs Software Version 1.0 (build 12). Everything is “OK” and is reported to be “stable”.

All Ethernet from Router to individual room equipment and has been running for YEARS with no network issues. Router: Netgear C7000v2. Switch is TP-Link TL-SG116.

Connected Audio Devices

Several Bluesound 2i Nodes, two Naim Mu-So (1 QB, 1 full sized), both Version 2, Schiit BiFrost, Auralic Mini.

It looks like I have lost several thousand in the current fubar.

Description of Issue

Roon updated A WEEK AGO and left me with Roon 1.8 on my Nucleus and Roon 2.0 on my M1 iMac. Roon is not working and I am getting no support although I was able to set up a remote on an iPad that can access some music. All of my Tidal files are lost or still in the ozone somewhere.

Mike Nilan

@Geoff_Coupe

I am totally mystified by these instructions and they specifically state: “These instructions assume you are using ROCK – if you are using Nucleus or another product based on Roon OS, consult your product documentation for the correct hostname, or just use the device’s IP address.”

I don’t know what ROCK is. I am not running anything at the moment. I can get to the Nucleus through its IP address but all I get is a status report. As far as I can tell, nothing is “running.”

As for documentation, I received no documentation with my Nucleus and have no idea where I would get a manual for the Nucleus.

Mike Nilan

Look here …

And in particular the Roon 1.8 ↔ 2.0 Migration FAQ…

[2023-12-05 Moderator Edit: Updated to reference the Roon Help Page.]

Geoff:
The search for the smb file turned up only in your post and no where else on my iMac, so I am still stuck.
Mike Nilan

It’s not a file - it’s the network address of the Data directory on your Nucleus. Use your Finder to browse your network to find it.

Geoff:
Ok, I think I got through step 2.

Step 3 however is an issue because the link you sent me does NOT download the roon_2-0 file. Instead I get a screen that tries to get me to download a “ZoHo WorkDrive” which says it will allow me to view (via Preview) the file. I am wary of downloading an unknown app to my computer and I don’t want to preview it. So I am stopped again.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Mike Nilan

That’s perfectly OK Roon Labs are using ZoHo as the platform to host files for download. Just click the green Download button and save the file to your Mac.

1 Like

Geoff:
Great. My iMac and my Nucleus are now talking to each other again, both with Roon 2.0.

One remaining issue is that Roon only lists 1130 digitized albums - nothing from Tidal shows up on Roon. Is this gone or can it be recovered?
Thanks,
Mike Nilan

Geoff:
OOps, one other issue: Do I need to get rid of Roon 1.8 on my other remotes (i.e., NOT the Mac M1?

Thanks,
Mike Nilan

All your devices (Core and Remotes) need to be at the same level - Roon 2.0. Links are in the Migration FAQ.

If you’re not seeing any Tidal material, try logging into Tidal again in Roon (Settings > Services > Tidal)

1 Like

Geoff:
All is normal again. Appreciate your assistance.
Sincerely,
Mike Nilan

1 Like

I had to take some time off but came back to see your issue was resolved with @Geoff_Coupe helping. I’m glad you’re back to enjoying the music.

Wes

Roon Core Machine

Connected Audio Devices

Description of Issue

Nucleus was updated to version 1.8 Legacy rather than version 2.0. Curious why Roon would do that?