Nucleus + Undiscoverable?

After connecting my brand-new Nucleus + to my Ethernet network and turning it on, the device is not discovered by Roon.

Not using my iPad Pro 2nd Generation (IOS 11.2.2) Roon App, nor from my MacBook Air (10.3.6) Roon. Both remain stuck in “Looking for your Roon Core”.

• I have a 1Gigabit Ethernet network, with two D-Link switches in successionm, and a Lynksys Velop wifi router in bridge mode.

• I have been running Roon with no problem from my MacBook Pro for more than one month now.

1. The Nucleus + is on, and the Ethernet port has its green light blinking
  2. I have connected the Nucleus by cable to both of my switches, to no avail.
  3. I have disconnected all other devices from the network, to no avail
  4. I have run my Bonjour Browser application from the Mac. It shows all my network connected devices…except the Nucleus + (or anything that I can identify with the Nucleus +)
  5. I have connected the Nucleus + directly to the Ethernet port of my Mac (through Thunderbolt). The Mac’s Network utility shows a link speed of 10 Mb/s.

Truly desperate,

Antonio

Flagging @support for you (using the @ in the title of a post doesn’t trigger flagging the support team)

Reading your network description I’m not sure if the Linksys Velop acts as a router for the entire network or if some other device does it. To me it seems like DHCP doesn’t work which means the Nucleus doesn’t get an IP address and cannot be found because of this. Do you know which device does DHCP on your network? Is the Nucleus listed in the administration interface of that device?

No, the Velop is in bridge mode. In any case, I disconnected it to take it out of the equation. I guess the IP adress is given by my main router, or one of the switchers? Not sure how I can find out. In any case, I have multiple devices connected to the network (including an Aurelic Mini and an MSB network renderer, without any problems

Usually the router - in your case I believe it’s the “main router” - has some administration interface where you can check which devices are connected to the network. There you could find out if the Nucleus is present at all and what its IP address is. You’ll need to know the IP because it’s probable that you first need to update the Nucleus firmware as described here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Updating_Nucleus_Firmware

What you could try from terminal in your macbook is typing arc -a and check what the output says. Any device listed that could be the nucleus? What’s the IP address of it? Can you then connect to the Web interface of the Nucleus using this IP address?

Terminal answers arc: command not found. I do not know how to discover the IP address of the nucleus. +

Sorry, my bad - a typo - should be: arp -a

My guess is your WiFi devices are on a different IP address segment from the lan connected devices

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the same problem both from the iPad (Wifi) and from the MacBook (cabled)

The Nucleus does not seem to appear:

Last login: Sat Sep 15 13:19:02 on ttys000
[AntonioBPRetina:~] antonioballesteros% arp -a
mymodem.lan (192.168.1.1) at 30:91:8f:e3:31:fc on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
antoniobpretina.lan (192.168.1.7) at 20:c9:d0:48:1b:71 on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
linksys34701.lan (192.168.1.15) at 58:ef:68:44:2c:14 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.17) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
apple-tv-3.lan (192.168.1.30) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.52) at 0:23:c1:1:cc:86 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
broadcasthost (255.255.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
[AntonioBPRetina:~] antonioballesteros%

I accessed the adminstration interface, as you suggested: I see about 15 devices connected to the Ethernet LAN. I cannot identify any of them with the Nucleus

Hmm. Besides trying a different ethernet cable - just to make sure - with the Nucleus (I suppose you’ve rebooted it a few times already) I’ve no further idea. The real support would have to step in …

@Antonio_Ballesteros Mac 10.3.6 and iOS 11.2.2? Have you tried updating them?

I doubt that this would help if the Nucleus doesn’t appear at all, not even at the router.

No harm in trying, also simplify the network for testing purposes, is the Nucleus + on fixed ip or dhcp, I would try downloading fing network scanner on the iPad and see what it sees, look for anything missing not just the Nucleus.

I’ve been reading that Fing uses arp commands anyway - but it probably looks nicer than the terminal output from arp. :wink:

I have just subjected my network to the ultimate simplification:

1. I went down to the basement, took my main router, where the phone company connection enters my home. I took with me the Nucleus +, new ethernet cables, a second Mac with Roon newly installed, and an iPad with a Roon remote app also newly installed.

2. I connected by Ethernet cable the Roon and the Mac to two modem LAN ports in the router, which are placed next to each other. The usual green lights blinked at both sides of the two cables.

3. I started Roon.

4. I started the Roon apps in the Mac and in the iPad.

5. I selected Choose your Roon Core

6. “Looking for your Roon core…” without end.

7. I finally disconnected the cable that links the router to the switch to which all my devices are connected. Now, running the router interface, only the Mac and the Roon Nucleus should appear.

8. Guess what? The router interface only showed one networked device: My Mac. No trace of the Roon.

This seems like the end of the road for me.

Sorry, my mistake. I’m running Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6, and IOS 11.4

Sorry to hear that nothing helped. I suppose the Nucleus was new / “factory sealed”? Not that by any previous use a fixed IP got assigned to it? Maybe you can check with your dealer.

If you happen to have an usb network adapter you could try it with the nucleus and see what the Nucleus status page says. (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Web_Administration_Interface)