Nucleus + Undiscoverable?

It could be worth trying a MAC address scanner, some available free here if the Nucleus has a fixed ip in a different subnet it would explain the issues you are seeing.

It was new in its sealed box. Thanks a lot for your help. I think this extensive troubleshooting will save a lot of time when Roon support steps in. Iā€™m afraid I will need to return the unit.

I hope things will get solved soon!

I just downloaded and launched Fing from my iPhone, as you suggested. It shows indeed all the other devices connected to my network, but not the Nucleus +.

Strangely, the lights continue to blink at both sides of the cable, as if everything was normal.

Could be that somethingā€™s loose inside of the Nucleus. While the ethernet port may be active, RAM might not be fitted correctly - you havenā€™t opened the Nucleus, have you? It may be worth trying to connect the Nucleus by HDMI to a display and have a look what the display says while the Nucleus boots up (if anything - but the manual says HDMI can be used for diags by Roon so maybe you get a lead there).

Do you see any lights on the nucleus other than the lan lights. There are some code sequences for the power led on NUCā€™s which will still probably apply to the Nucleus. The plugging in of an Hdmi monitor of course should also assist in seeing what comes up in the boot., if nothing is thee it could be worth a look internally to see if anything is disconnected.

@support again in case they missed this.

Antonio here, again. I could not post anything with my regular identity anymore because I am a new user and, it seems, I had exceeded the number of allowed posts for a new user in his first day (about 20, I think) so when I tried to reply to you I was told I had to wait 21 hours to post again:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Ok, I did as you suggested (looked brilliant)

I read in the adress you mentioned:
Configuring a second network interface
If you use a USB network adapter with Nucleus, it will populate itself with a second network interface. This second interface will appear as a new tab under the Networking section and can be configured the same way as the onboard gigabit ethernet port.

I hoped this would work. If there was a possibility to sort this out, this one surely was the one.

I have a USB network adaptor. I connected the Mac to the Nucleus + USB port with the USB network adaptor and run the Roon application. Too bad, the Mac still does not see the Nucleus.

Again, thank you,

Antonio

I see no lights when I start the Nucleus. There is not even any switch to turn it on that I can see, only the power cable that I plug in or out.

I also connected the Nucleus + to my tv through hdmi. I connected the Nucleus to the network and started it, but the TV screen remained black, no image coming out from the Nucleus.

Are you sure it is turned on? Thereā€™s a power button at the back of the unit.

See the manual for info and illustrations:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Manual

1 Like

Solved

It was not turned on.

A power ā€œbuttonā€ is indeed placed at the bottom of a rectangular recess at the back of the unit. When you press it, a dim white light illuminates the recess. The unit is on.

I did not notice it at first, then connected the ethernet cable to both ends. Lights on both sides started to blink, so I assumed the unit was on. The quick start guide does not have an ilustration of the device.

Minimalism

Thank you all for your help and insights. Sorry for the inconvenience. I have learned a lot about network troubleshooting.

Antonio

3 Likes

It happens to us all Antonio. Back when I was an apprentice repair engineer a mate spent a while going over his test rig. After about 30 minutes he came to me and asked if I could check to see why he couldnā€™t get a trace on his scope. I walked over, glanced at his setup for five seconds, switched the scope on and casually walked away! We still rib him about that 38 years later!

Yes, that is what worries me :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.