Nucleus+ with added memory couldn't handle my library but IMAC can... why?

It’s gets pretty convoluted
But the way I organized the files on my NAS caused issues
Folders within folders…sub directories
My only hope was a software upgrade some day.
The guy helping me told me this sort of thing a weak spot for ROON.
I think they figure a large % of users just stream.

1 Like

Thanks @thomas_clark1.
So sub folders within another sub folder can cause Roon to break! Roon software can only deal with a certain limit of the folder hierarchy!!!

But then how come the same software works on a Mac, and breaks on a Nucleus+?

Trust me
I’m still stunned.
Read an advertisement for the Nucleus…no mention of such things

But yes
I’d love an answer as to why

I do not think you have the right answer from Roon support, the root cause of your problem is something else, it is not the depth of the folder/directory hierarchy.

Room Support is not the greatest support model to handle an issue like this:
Their last words to me:

Yes, this is the fundamental issue. Based on our troubleshooting it may very well be the case that you’ll have issues no matter the core device.

Their explanation: the guy that helped figure it out was good…

The issue here isn’t specifically hardware related, your Nucleus+ can indeed handle the number of tracks it advertises it can.

The issue is more around how Roon treats file structure, in combination with how your library is built. In a simplified schematic of astandard music storage branching file structure, a directory will resemble Main Folder → Artist Folder → Album Folders. Thus, speaking generally, Roon will anticipate subdirectories to contain around 10-100 tracks. Core algorithms (analysis, importing, etc) are optimized for that range of tracks in a subdirectory.

Obviously, there’s tremendous flexibility built into this calculation. Subdirectories can have dozens, hundreds, and even thousands of tracks (think playlists, etc.) without breaking or slowing down Roon. But consider the average track count per subdirectory in your Watched Folders. When users have large libraries - particularly libraries that are stressing local storage or Core operating system capacities - then subdirectories with a huge average track count is the straw that breaks the camels back

Operating system capacities - so this is the key word. So this issue can depend on how the OS or rather how the kernel handles the filesystem, that may explain why iMac works and the Nucleus does not.

This is not true, and only cause confusion.

Thomas’s library was “unique” in the fact that it had some 115.000 songs by two artists. The exact reason as to why this is a challenge to a Nucleus+ based library and NOT to an iMac based one is undisclosed though, but there’s not much point in speculating.

Point is, 99.99% of all customers will never encounter issues like this, as i (suppose) this is very special scenario.

5 Likes

Why is it undisclosed, just curious? As an ex-Nucleus owner, the OP had/has the right to know.

Btw, @Mikael_Ollars, I do not think you read my whole conversation with the OP, my diagnosis is based entirely from the OP’s statements:

I do not think any of you present any plausible explanation to him, maybe attributing implicitly that issue comes from the OP’s faults, with the exception from some helpful suggestions from @Suedkiez

I have a Nuc i7 rev a like nucleus rev a with 16gb, and a nucleus i3 rev a and 12gb of ram and both have the music on the same NAS share and 330k tracks and no issues with either.

1 Like

There are rev A and rev B versions. Same specs but case is bigger on rev B and has two hdmi ports

My core and music is on a 2017 27" iMac. Works great. I have about 70,000 tracks.

I do not have an explanation for what has happened with Thomas´ Nucleus+ vs. iMac. But it reminded me of a problem i once experienced when running Roon on a rather outdated NAS:

The system could handle 75k tracks of my usual collection easily and was more or less reactive. Out of curiosity I added some folder of a friend´s collection who has the habit of ripping classical music collections like “The Complete Karajan on 356 CDs”.

This completely changed the pictures as now several 1,000 tracks (if not 10,000 in one case) were associated with 1 performer as well as composers having more than 1,000 compositions. It appeared to me that Roon could not handle the sheer number of interdependencies and connections well although I kept the total number of tracks relatively the same by disabling some of my folders. Opening performer´s landing pages got super slow, coverflow stuttering, starting a stream was delayed for minutes and compiling composition lists of the top composers was simply a pain in the…

Moving to another NAS offering a significantly faster CPU solved the problem although RAM, drives and all network architecture stayed the same.

I wonder if there is any parallel to your case. Maybe it is just a matter of CPU power and your iMac is more powerful than the Nucleus+? Could you figure out which specific CPU were used in the two units?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.