Nucleus with ARC GSi75

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Build 183

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

ARC GSi75

Description Of Issue

Nucleus not working with ARC GSi 75. Any update on whether the ARC is compatible with Nucleus?

Hi @Bernard_Wesson,

This device is not Roon Ready or Roon Tested.

Looking at the manual for this device there is no mention of Linux support, so that is likely why it would not work with Nucleus. One option would be to use a Windows or Mac device running Roon or RoonBridge for playback.

What is a RoonBridge?

Hi @Bernard_Wesson,

You can use RoonBridge to use a different computer on the network as an endpoint. You can read more about this here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/RoonBridge

Thank you Dylan. I contacted ARC and they are supplying me with an updated USB chip that they say will solve the compatibility problem.

Next question: I want to rip my CD collection to an external SSD and connect it to the NUC. Totally stand alone. I’ll be ripping through my MacBook Pro. Since I’m starting from scratch I want to make sure everything is setup properly. What format should I rip the CD’s to for the highest quality? Are there any compatibility issues with connecting the SSD to my MacBook and then connecting it to the NUC? Anything else I should know before starting the extensive ripping project?

Hi @Bernard_Wesson,

I would recommend opening a post over in #roon to get feedback from the community for advice about ripping your music. A lot of these types of questions have subjective answers, so gathering feedback from others who have used various methods of ripping would definitely be a great next step!

The main thing I would recommend is making sure that the drive is properly formatted for the Nucleus before starting to rip files.

If you have any questions please let us know!

Assuming your Nucleus and your MacBook are on the same network, you can rip from your MacBook direct to the SSD in your Nucleus. Just setup the SSD as a shared drive. The Knowledge Base has directions on how to do that. As for best format that is a can of worms. I recommend FLAC as it is now the de-facto hi-rez standard container. It is lossless and the file sizes are reasonable. FLAC compression levels are debatable, but it looks like a compression level between 3 and 5 give the most compression vs time to process. In other words, higher compression levels require much more processing time and don’t result in significant reduction in file size.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.