Nucleus with Auralic

Hi all
I current use a matchbook as my core via usb to my Hegel integrated amp 390. I initially wanted to get a dedicated streamer to improve the sq but realised that I would still need to keep the laptop on running as a core. I was hoping the Auralic Aries would be able to run as a core and stream, but a las not so which let me to the Nucleus. I think I will run this as a core and take the laptop out of the system altogether as currently I am tethered to my amp. I this my best option as the two boxes are a fair chunk of change to drop. I think my amp supports upnp if that makes any difference.
Thanks
Sean

Why not just connect the Nucleus directly to your integrated amp? The Nucleus is also a streamer. You can always add the Aries later if you want.

1 Like

Hi Michael
Thanks for the reply.
I didn’t even know this was possible. How would this set up work do you think in comparison to the Aries in terms of SQ. I imagine an improvement over my current MacBook but maybe not as good as using the Aries.
Thanks
Sean

The Aries would allow you more connection options to your integrated amp or an upgraded DAC. You would also be able to connect Ethernet from your Nucleus to the Aries. I do not have a Nucleus but I do have an Aries and I have Roon bridge on a Mac mini connected via Ethernet to my Aries. My Aries connects to my Vega DAC via AES.

One other point to add is the Aries allows you to use Auralics LDS software which is very nice on its own plus you have access to Spotify. The LDS does not require internet like Roon does plus it is free. Obviously you will need internet when using a streaming service like Tidal. I find myself going back and forth between LDS and Roon.

1 Like

Michael thanks for your replies and taking the time to explain, much appreciated. My amp is a Hegel 390 which has upnp which I am not sure if this makes a difference to my available options. Any reason you went for the Mac mini over the Nueules btw. I think the DAC inside my amp is pretty good so no immediate need to change it. The LDS looks good but I would still need a device as a core if I want to run Roon.

I believe upnp is not supported by Roon but it is supported by Auralics LDS app when using the Aries. Yes, you need to run Roon core on a computer type machine like Nuc or a Nucleus. I choose Mini because I like apple and I use it also to stream my movies. I may still get a Nucleus down the road. I can also use wifi to connect my Roon core to my Aries. The Nucleus only connects via ethernet. Both connections are just as good but the ethernet is best when wifi is lacking.

1 Like

If you are planning on getting a Nucleus then get that first and try it out before thinking about adding an Aries.

1 Like