Occasional dropouts with Microrendu endpoint

Hi Eric…thanks for responding

My network used to be really simple… Mac’n’Dac [ That is MacMini with Roon Core ) , controlled by laptop wirelessly. When I wanted to add a headphone listening station in another room, wireless was unreliable so I set up a wired ethernet connection to the Time capsule used for backup and for connecting the Mini to the Modem. That worked OK with Rasp Pi, Sonicorbiter and Macbook as Roon endpoints, so I invested in a MicroRendu with UPS power supply, worked even better until a couple of days ago when the audio started to drop out, more and more frequently. Yesterday it had got down to every 15 seconds hence my email…reading other forum posts seemed to indicate a network problem so I have ordered a Netgear switcher…other posts indicated different problems if the drop outs were escalating so i rebooted Roon on the Server Mini and on the remote laptop and that seems to have addressed the issue. I dont know whether it relates to the time that Roon is actually on, because normal laziness means that I dont power down any of the components, just let them go into sleep mode

So, simple equipment description…Modem to Time capsule to MacMini with Roon Core and library on Glyph drive connected to Mini. Microrendu hard wired to Time capsule, remote control via laptop or iPad. Netgear GS 250 arrives tomorrow , plan to connect it to Modem then hardwire Mini, Time capsule and MicroRendu to it. Mini is connected via FireWire to Sanders Electrostatic system, mR is connected to Schiit Dac and Mjollnir headphone amp

After re-booting, ( just turning off not re-installing ) system has behaved itself all day.

I sometimes feel it would be worth a CA article about best practice with Roon as a step up from Mac’n’Dac…I dont know much about NAS etc but feel that would be an obvious next step

and in response to a specific question you asked…I dont think that the problem was related to the bitrate being streamed as it was all 44/16

Hi @diw ------ Thank you for the follow up and taking the time answer my questions. The feedback is greatly appreciated!

I am glad to hear that power cycling your equipment has returned stability to your setup. Please keep me updated on any new observation that are made with the additional equipment being added to your network configuration. If this issue crops back up, I will grab some logs from you to have our developers take a closer look at what may be causing the issue.

Happy listening!

-Eric

started happening again after a few days of trouble free operation…will try power cycling again

Hi @diw ---- Thank you for the feedback. Let me know how it goes after you have gone through the process of power cycling your hardware as I am looking forward to hearing your observations.

-Eric

Power cycling all seems to have cured the problem again…do you think this might apply most to the MicroRendu which I tend to leave on all the time as timing problems build up over time? Schiit suggest the Gungnir DAC should be left on all the time and the computer will sleep on its usual cycle

I leave all of my mRendu setup on all the time and don’t have any issues. Maybe some kind of network issue? I see you ordered a switch; the designer of the mR, John Swenson, recommends using an unmanaged switch (or turning management off with a managed switch).
I’m using an unmanaged switch with my setup.

Originally I used the MicroRendu with the wall wart powersupply…since I got the Uptone UPS I have been using it the mR more but the trouble seems to have started after that point ( hard to be certain about that ) Following some posts on this thread I installed a Netgear unmanaged switch after the Apple Time capsule and plug everything into that. As I said before it seems to occur after some time of operation rather than immediately so power cycling mR, MacMini and the laptop fixes it temporarily…next time it occurs I plan to powercycle each of those things in turn to see if it is one in particular

I have two microRendus with UpTone LPS-1 supplies feeding Schiit DACs (Bimby and Yggy). Connected with Cat 6, Netgear switches and a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE router to an Intel NUC with Ubuntu running Roon Core. Never any dropouts, although Roon Core logs show occasional RAAT “trouble” warnings.

new roon and mr cust…just set up my microrendu and roon …played for a while…then dropped out…now has dropped out 2x now…even when the laptop is hardwired into the router
using my 10 yr old laptop as my ‘‘nas’’

upon when rebooting roon it doesn’t recognize the microrendu at all in my audiophile setup…not showing as a device or endpoint, i guess…even unplugged and replugged in the microrendue and lcaps.

now the microrendu doesn’t show as a device at all in Roon…?..have restarted my laptop a few times, too
(see screenshots please below of both roon and my microrendu)

update…was getting 404 errors etc…so unplugged replugged in
also in the sonore 3 dropdowns, where the top one shows idsd…i instead chose ‘usb’ as device
and it’s working now.