Occasional poor playback quality for a few seconds

PC running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, Roon version 1.8 (Build 790)

Not using network. Problem is when outputting USB directly to DAC/AMP

USB connection from PC to Burson Composer 3XP.

Every so often (every 15-30 minutes or so of listening) the sound is distorted for a few seconds like a scratched record before continuing normally. It usually happens in the first third of a song and then not again for 15-30 minutes.

While we’re waiting for a member of the Support team to pick up your support request, could you please try the following:

• test playback to the System Output of your Windows PC to check whether the sound gets distorted there as well.

Thanks.

Thanks Geoff,
I haven’t heard it using the system output. I thought it might be the MQA settings I was using with my DAC that doesn’t support MQA but turning MQA options off in Roon doesn’t seem to have fixed it.

Now I am wondering if it is related to the USB connection between my computer and my DAC. Any thoughts on that?

That is why @Geoff_Coupe suggested the System Output test. What were the results?

As I mentioned above, I have not heard the distortion using system output. What do you think the solution is? Should I experiment with a SPDIF coaxial cable connection?

It seems to happen close to midway through a track.

Using SPDIF should rule out any USB issues, so yes you could try that.
I presume that you have the latest USB Win10 driver installed for the Burson and have confirmed that WIndows is actually using it?

thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using the latest USB driver from Burson for Windows 10 (version 4.59.0.35249) according to my windows sound settings. That should confirm that windows is using it correct?

Also, I haven’t heard this distortion with any other source played through the same output to the same DAC except for Roon. Is that helpful at all?

Hey @Ralph_Pickard,

I’m so sorry that we didn’t get a chance to reply until today … :pleading_face:

I appreciate you sharing all the information that you have and for engaging with the Roon community. By the way, thank you @Geoff_Coupe and @Anthony_B for stepping in :pray:

I was wondering if this distortion is still ongoing? If so, are there any updates worth sharing?

I’ll keep an eye out for your post :nerd_face:

After switching to digital audio through SPDIF via coaxial cable, I no longer get the scratchy distortion. That’s the good news. The bad news is that instead of the scratchiness, I do get a skipping record effect…effect…effect…effect that lasts for a few seconds with a little less frequency .