Occasionally my Mac home server won't sleep (and I think it's Roon)

I’m tracking down problems why my Macbook that is my home server doesn’t go to sleep at times. First I thought it had to do with file shares not being properly unmounted, but now I saw this here in the terminal:

$ pmset -g assertions
   pid 17224(RoonAppliance): [0x00009b1f00018aaf] 00:04:09 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "Music is playing"

When playing music I’m glad Roon keeps the computer awake, but it’s still listed even when I stop music. From what I read on this forum, Roon was only supposed to keep the computer awake while playing music?

And when I resume playback, there are suddenly two of these assertions:

$ pmset -g assertions
   pid 17224(RoonAppliance): [0x00009d8400018ad2] 00:00:02 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "Music is playing"
   pid 17224(RoonAppliance): [0x00009b1f00018aaf] 00:10:15 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "Music is playing"

There’s a new assertion added each time I start playing. The next time I start playback I have three of them, and so on. Is that really intentional?

When I quit RoonServer and restart it, the system goes properly to sleep again as long as I don’t play any music. macOS 10.12.3, Roon build 204.

1 Like

My windows 7 PC frequently won’t go to sleep and it is Roon.

C:\Users\htpc>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\htpc\AppData\Local\Roonserver\Applicatio
n\RoonAppliance.exe

AWAYMODE:
None.

To test, I shutdown rooncore, keep awake request obviously disappears.
restart core, no keep alive request
connect OSX client, no keep alive request
play a track, keep alive request issued.
close (completely) OSX client, keep alive request still there.

It would really help me if this would timeout after a certain period (configurable perhaps) so that windows can be allowed to let the PC go to sleep, rather than being on 24x7.

1 Like

Hi @ruediger and @John_Mason — Thank you for the feedback here. We would like to grab a set of logs from you both in order to take a closer look at what may be going on here. May I kindly ask you both to please perform the following:

1. Please replicate this behavior you are reporting.

2. Once the issue has been reproduced, please send us a copy of your logs following the instructions found here in our knowledge base.

-Eric

Here are my logs, for the last run I restarted my MacBook and started and stopped playback a few times. In the end, I had three of the above NoIdleSleepAssertions in the pmset output.

Hi @ruediger ----- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that your logs have been received successfully. We’ll have a look and let you know what we come up with. Thank you for your continued feedback and more importantly your patience.

-Eric

Hi @ruediger ---- I wanted to touch base with you and provide a status update on where we are in our investigation.

Our QA department is currently looking into this behavior and are trying to replicate in-house. They are working with our developers to try and find reproducible steps so we can properly address this issue.

We appreciate your continued patience while we dig deeper into this behavior being reported.

Thanks!
-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: “RoonAppliance” prevents Mac Mini from sleeping