OCXO network switch

I just got some OEM modules used off ebay for about $5 each. Not using them any longer. I found the gains of an almost new 16 port 1gb Cisco switch and just going copper exceeded those of going SFP to SFP with two older model 2960’s. I still have the fiber run in place though, and eyeing the new UltraRendu Optical Sonore just announced as I’m still at a microRendu (though hopped up to near an Ultra).

Cheers Charles

Have got the 2960 and a cheapo FMC to play with and see how I get on

Ultimately I’m thinking 2960 > fibre > Uptone/Sonore FMC or similar but it will depend how my current experiments pan out

The link doesn’t work:
http://www.klinktbeter.be/index.php/specials/highend-switch
Can you give me further information?

The link is dead, but I remember that article. Here’s an executive summary: the author reported that he got SQ improvement after upgrading the power supply for a cheap Ethernet switch.

As for the switch Go_Ga purchased, I do not recommend it as there are other posts here that have reported issues with this particular managed switch. Generally an unmanaged switch is usually better for Roon.

1 Like

Following some good reviews I went for a second hand Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L (just 55$, while new was 789$), while waiting for a test between the TLC switch and the yet to come Etherregen.

Having also acquired recently a new amplifier, I thought it would be a good idea do do an overall cleaning and get rid of some Spaghetti, namely the 2 TP-link MC200CM and its LPS’s (LPS-1 and Sbooster), between my server and the router.

Yes, I can testify that it was a clear SQ improvement over the TP links, so now my server (sonic transporter i5 + URendu + router are all connected to the Cisco. At the same time I took advantage of the variable output of my HDPlex to feed my Router (the other is feeding my server) and again I was surprised with the results (it improved again but the delta were lower).

But the largest surprise come from the improvement of quality of my TV image connected by wifi through an Apple TV. On top of that, when connecting the Apple ethernet cable to the Cisco I got another substantial improvement. So, guys, despite all the doubts surrounding modded switches and routers, it really makes a different, at least on my system.

Just wanted to share with you that this couple of changes resulted on a substantial improvement of audio and video on my system (yes video!).

Cheers