Odd behavior - track plays but no sound. Until

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK Version 1.0 (build 174) stable. Roon Server Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eero mesh network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

HiFiBerry (RPit HAT) Balanced output > Schiit Freya+ > Schiit VIdar > Tekton Double Impact

Description Of Issue

I have a large playlist (comprised of jazz) and for some tracks (Flac files on a NAS, see attached for example) the track “plays”, and the playhead advances) but is completely silent. Pause/Play does not fix the issue.

However if I pause the track, choose the Album dropdown "Re-Analyze Album and then Play, the music appears wherever in the track and it plays normally.

However, next time this album plays a similar problem arises. I have reanalyzed when not playing and nothing seems to resolve the issue permanently. The problem seems to apply to 3 or 4 albums.

Hi @Graham_Bird,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you please let me know if the behavior the same across multiple zones? Can you please send me this album via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com so I can try it on my end?

Hi @noris,

Thanks for your ping. I’m not sure if the problem manifests in other zones, we tend to use those (2) playlist in the living room at dinner time and not elsewhere. There are a few albums that exhibit the issue of silent tracks - but I BELIEVE it’s only when played as part of the playlist.

Let me do a bit more digging and see if I can localize the issue a bit more. Happy to share when we have the right targets.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi @noris,

I have been unable to reproduce the issue in other zones, but it is persistent on the hifi system. Any thoughts?

One thing that seems to be part of the equation is that it happens when starting the playlist with the ‘Shuffle’ button.

Cheers

Hi @Graham_Bird,

Thanks for the update here. Have you been able to locate the exact albums that display this behavior? Can you please submit a few of them to me for analysis via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

Also, does the same behavior occur if the files are not stored on the NAS but elsewhere, for example on a USB drive connected to your ROCK?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.