Odd volume control behavior on Mac remote app

Hi. Running latest version (1.2/157)

I have two Macs, both running Roon under El Capitan 10.11.6

One is hardwired to my PSAudio DAC and uses wifi for control and Tidal.

The other is on the same wifi network and is slaved to the main unit so I can control it from across the room.

I have no trouble seeing the other install. I can change tracks and mess with the queue.

When I try to change the digital volume, though, it usually doesn’t. I can slide the slider from 100 to 50 (to have a conversation, say) but the volume coming out of the speakers doesn’t change.

Then I’ll do it again, doesn’t work. The slider stays wherever I slide it, it shows 50, but the sound is at 100.

Then I’ll do it a third time, and suddenly, it responds.

Is this just me?

Happy to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

Seth

Hey @seth_Godin1 – we’ll try to reproduce this in house, and if there’s an issue we’ll either fix it on our end or follow up with PS Audio.

So, the PS Audio DAC is connected USB? Does that Mac run the Core as well?

Can you also drop us a screenshot of both audio settings tabs for the DAC (like the ones here), and confirm the model and firmware version of your DAC (as described here)?

Thanks!

Thanks Mike

I restarted the DAC and my hunch is that there was a weird gremlin there

I’m going to retest this tomorrow, stand by

thank you.

1 Like

I am also having problems with the volume not really changing things on my PS Audio Directstream.
I try to change it via my Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet, and my Nexus 6 phone, and usually I can make the remote change volume, but the actual DAC does not. Then, sometimes, they do sync up. Very strange.

Hi @B_Felt ----- Thank you for chiming in here and sharing your observations with us. The feedback is very appreciated!

Based on the report above, have you tried power cycling the PS Audio DirectStream yet and seeing if functionality returns?

-Eric

Hi Eric. It’s real. Still happens to me about 1/3 of the time.

A restart fixes it for awhile, or else I do a manual shift. Gives me a chance to stand up and stretch.

Hi @Seth_Godin1 —— Thank you very much for confirming this information for me. @B_Felt thank you for the feedback as well!

May I kindly ask you both to please verify / provide the following for me:

1. How is the PS Audio DAC being connected (i.e USB) and to what (i.e Core machine)?

2. Can you also drop us a screenshot of both audio settings tabs for the DAC (like the ones here), and confirm the model and firmware version of your DAC (as described here)?

Moving forward…
We’ll be discussing this behavior with our team and our developers to look into this further. If you notice any patterns or reproduction steps for when this happens, please let us know, and I will report back and share our thoughts once I have some news. We greatly appreciate your patience!

-Eric

Since this is a PS Audio product, let me know if I can be of any assistance. I haven’t noticed the behavior but trust Seth to be observant. Let me know if I can help.

Paul McGowan
CEO

Thanks for chiming in Paul! Hope you’re well :slight_smile:

We’re looking into this, and hopefully we’re able to reproduce. We’ll be in touch if needed!

1 Like

Hi,

I will see if I can get some screenshots later tonight, and try power cycling.
In the meantime, I am connecting to the PS Directstream via ethernet into their Bridge 2. It is Torreys firmware.
My Core is a Mac Mini, 2012 version, i7 quad core. Mac connects wirelessly to my router.
On the router I am using TP Link MC100CM (a pair of them) to isolate the ethernet, using a fiberoptic cable to break the ethernet connection.
So it is Mini—wireless----router----ethernet-----TP Link-----fiberoptic----TP Link----ethernet----PS Audio Bridge2.
The PS guys suggested I defeat DHCP and use static IP (this was to solve a different problem I was having ) but right now the unit is using DHCP and the music is flowing, just losing volume control periodically.
The PS Remote (like your TV remote) does work flawlessly for volume.

thanks,
Bill

Hi guys,

firmware on the PS is 1.8.8
my Mac is Sierra10.12.2
PS Directstream is RAAT audio device
crossfade 0 seconds
volume levelling No
phone is Roon 1.2 build 168 stable 32 bit
Core is v1,2 build 165 stable 64 bit
tablet is v1.2 build 168 stable 32 bit

not sure how to take a screenshot, Roon Server on the mac so the controls all appear on the Samsung tablet.

re power cycling, Murphy’s law is in effect and right now both the phone and tablet are working. I will power cycle when the problem comes back.

Hi @B_Felt ----- Thank you for following up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are very appreciated.

Moving forward, I would like to grab some logs from you so our developers can have a closer look at what may be going on here. I will be contacting you via PM with instructions shortly.

-Eric

Volume freeze just occurred: The Samsung tablet control would move the volume up and down, but the actual PS Directstream did not respond. Power cycled, waited 30 seconds, now the tablet does control the volume again.

Still a problem, have sent logs to roon, no fix so far