Offsite Backup Advice for Library

So I finally looked up how much I pay for B2 storage. I currently store 240GB there (between music and a server backup, the latter is pretty small) and pay $1.25 per month. As I said, peanuts.

Thanks! Today is a new day and I think I understand better how they charge. They charge for storage and downloads. I guess if I were to restore backup I would get charged more. Then, there are Class “A”, “B”, “C” transactions. I suppose there wouldn’t be many of those.

I don’t think you’ll ever even pay for those, hitting that free daily limit strikes me as pretty difficult when doing backups (different for other applications, though).

Well said, nothing beats keeping an eye on whats going on

Mike

1 Like

I thought I’d briefly share my backup strategy since I still occasionally read posts where people cross their fingers and hope for the best when it comes to backup.

My Core is on an Ubuntu server (headless) and so are my media files. I use two backup tools after trialling numerous tools:

1. System drive is backed up daily with Veeam’s free Linux agent. This provides bare-bones restore and can also handle databases.

2. For my data, which is on spinning disk (ZFS mirrors) I use Duplicacy. This is perfect for music libraries, especially if you frequently revisit Meta data. It has block-level deduplication and is very fast.

I have scheduled jobs (scripts) that backup to a local USB3 drive and cloud storage (currently Wasabi S3-compatible storage.) Daily backups take around 25 minutes to complete. There’s no GUI; I get email notifications. And if I need to restore data it’s command line only but straightforward.

I know this isn’t for everyone, but hopefully this may be of use to someone and prevent data loss.