Ogg Vorbis goes "click" between gapless tracks [Ticket in]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 416
Core i7/win 10
Core2Duo Linux

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Nothing much to tell here

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Generic USB DAC connected to the core on the Linux C2D Duo.
USB Centrance DacPort connected to the I7.

Description Of Issue

I’ve tried several albums compressed with Ogg Vorbis. When switching tracks there’s a click between them. The click varies in amplitude depending on the two tracks.

When playing the tracks on Foobar2000 the audio is completely gapless.

I’ve disabled all DSP and oversampling to make sure that the click isn’t coming from one of the modules - the click is still there.

Hi @maoravni,

Is the behavior the same for multiple endpoints or only for the Generic USB DAC? Are you able to reproduce this when using “System Output” if no other zone is available?

Also, can you please share the affected media via a private message as a Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link so I can take a closer look?

Link Sent.

I’ve tested it on the internal DirectSound output on my PC and also on my iPhone’s endpoint.

Hi @maoravni,

Thanks for sending those files over, I have created a ticket for you with our QA team who can take a closer look at this behavior. As soon as I hear back from them, I will be sure to let you know, thanks in advance for your patience!

Any update regarding the noise?

Hi @maoravni,

Thanks for reaching out again and apologies about the delay in getting back to you here.

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved.

Thanks again for the report!

Any updates regarding this?

Hello @maoravni,

Thanks for pinging me regarding this.

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue. This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Update regarding latest build (536)

I’ve checked a few OGG files that I have and now I don’t hear the click when switching between tracks.

However, the playback is not gapless. But instead of having a short silence between tracks, there are missing samples.

I’ve verified this by:

1. generating a frequency sweep using Audacity.
  2. Splitting the sweep into two wav files.
  3. Encoding the wav files as ogg.

When playing back the wav files they sound as expected. When playing back the ogg files there’s a gap in the sweep.
When playing back the ogg files in foobar2000 they sound as expected.

Hi @maoravni,

Glad to hear that the click has subsided in the new build!

Was this using the same .OGG files you submitted for the initial issue or other .OGG files?

Could you please send the files which display the gap?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y_kG5u9riEjtsI3V0LIuWjriv05x_tLf?usp=sharing

There are 4 files in the folder: 2 wav files and 2 ogg files.

1 Like

Thanks for sending those over @maoravni! I have forwarded the link to QA and am awaiting further feedback from them, I will let you know once I hear back.

Still happening in build 610.

Hi @maoravni,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.