Oliver Schnyder Beethoven Project

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local Files

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

Naming of Piano Concerto Nr 4 is wrong

In case you are interested I was able to get Concerto 4 to display as a single work by re Identifying album, choosing use file tag info and none of these look right:

You then need to add the album photo manually.

Thanks, @CoralRad
Unfortunately that did not work for me. The album still looks the same in Roon after the treatment.
I then looked at the allmusic entry for the album and saw that it does not contain any track names.
Next I proceeded to change all the track title tags to the names allmusic uses for the works:

Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15 - 1. Allegro con brio
Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15 - 2. Largo
Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15 - 3. Rondo. Allegro scherzando
Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37 - 1. Allegro con brio
Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37 - 2. Largo
Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37 - 3. Rondo. Allegro
Coriolan Overture, Op. 62
Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 - 1. Allegro moderato
Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 - 2. Andante con moto
Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 - 3. Rondo. Vivace
Leonore Overture No. 1 in C major, Op. 138
Fidelio, overture, Op. 72c
Egmont, incidental music, Op. 84v - Overture. Sostenuto, ma non troppo - Allegro
Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19 - 1. Allegro con brio
Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19 - 2. Adagio
Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19 - 3. Rondo. Molto allegro
Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major (“Emperor”), Op. 73 - 1. Allegro
Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major (“Emperor”), Op. 73 - 2. Adagio un poco moto [mosso]
Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major (“Emperor”), Op. 73 - 3. Rondo. Allegro

But that did not change anything either. Something seems to be very wrong with the metadata of this album.

What did work in the end was to re-identify and tell Roon that none of the suggestions were correct and to use basic file info:

Roon now identified all the works correctly, incl. the overtures.

But that’s not really the point of Roon’s claim to fame for excellent metadata management.

The root of this problem is that TiVo hasn’t populated the tracks for this album – it’s just an album stub. We’re actually doing the right thing for most of the compositions on that album apart from the 4th concerto. I’ll take a look at this next week.

2 Likes

This release is in MusicBrainz, https://musicbrainz.org/release/8094b055-467c-4ca7-9d47-16cdfdf4cbd4. The tracks appear to me to be correctly listed, including for the 4th Concerto, in the MusicBrainz entry. So it is frustrating that it does not appear in Roon at least as an alternate choice when identifying the album manually.

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t clear but it looks like what you ended up doing was what I was trying to suggest worked on my end. Regardless, I agree that it is unfortunate that you have to do this at all. And in the end, the album is listed now as unidentified which is not an optimal result. But at least the movements for all works show under a single composition.

I looked at editing this release in MusicBrainz so that it would show up in a week or so as an alternate choice when identifying the album in Roon. But to my disappointment the release is in MusicBrainz and appears to be correct. It could be that it will show up in Roon sometime in the next 1-2 weeks, as that is how long it takes for a new entry in MusicBrainz to make it to Roon, in my experience.

Thanks @joel
Is there any way Roon can get TiVo/allmusic to populate the entry with the correct metadata? That would be the obvious cure for the problem.

Hi @jacobacci. This is now fixed on our servers though will take up to a week for the corrected data to be pulled into your library.

Is there any way Roon can get TiVo/allmusic to populate the entry with the correct metadata?

We can ask them on a case-by-case basis if absolutely necessary.

That would be the obvious cure for the problem.

Obvious perhaps, but not generic. We had the correct metadata for this album from MusicBrainz, but no unambiguous equivalence between the TiVo and MusicBrainz ids for the composition/work. I’ve added a mechanism to make use of allmusic links on MusicBrainz work pages to resolve ambiguities.

Let me know if you come across any other albums with non-grouping where you would expect it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.