On demand backup fails

@support,

It appears that my scheduled local backups of ROON are working fine. However when I try to do an on demand backup the snapshot completes, the transfer starts, CPU usage hits 100% and ROON crashes.

I’m running a Intel NUC as below:

Win 10 x64
16GB RAM
i5 5250U CPU

Not really urgent as I have a rolling backup, I wanted to backup before a migration though and this was a belts and braces backup!

Thoughts and support appreciated.

Matt

Hi @Hectorson,

Where are you backing your database up to? Is it the same location as the scheduled backups? If you try a different location does the same thing occur?

Hi, thanks for the quick response. Both backups are to a folder on the desktop. I’ve tried different locations on the same drive.

Thanks, @Hectorson.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks,
Dylan

@dylan,

I am back at my PC so have run the backup and it failed at 14:45.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi @Hectorson,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Update — Diagnostics reported was uploaded right away.

1 Like

Hi @dylan,

Is there any news on this? If not I’ll hold of pestering until after the holiday period.

Thanks

Hello @Hectorson,

I have received the analysis back from QA regarding your case and they have noted that the backup snapshot does not match in size for what a typical backup is supposed to be. We have a few proposed tests moving forward and we would like to verify if this issue still occurs with a fresh database in place:

1. Please navigate to your Roon Database Location, find the “Roon” folder and rename it to “Roon_old”. This step should look like this:

1. Start Roon again to generate a fresh Database and try performing an on-demand backup of the current (empty) library, does it work as expected? Please note the timestamp you try to do this.

2. Try to restore your latest scheduled backup to the fresh database, does it work as expected? Please note the timestamp you try to do this.

3. Try to create a new manual backup after restoring the latest scheduled backup, does that work? Please note the timestamp you try to do this.

After testing is concluded or if you run into any issues, simply renaming the new Roon folder to something like “Roon Testing” and renaming the “Roon_old” folder back to “Roon” will get you back to the current database (prior to testing).

Please let me know your findings from these tests when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

I have been through the tests and the following happened:

1 - renamed folder

2 - 20:09 empty backup successful
20:10 added local content and backed up - successful

3 - Restore of last scheduled backup failed

I can’t complete 4.

In other testing I couldnt get Roon to add all of my Tidal content to a blank database, it would add 80ish of 1000ish albums.

Thanks,

Matt

Hello @Hectorson,

Thanks for performing those steps for us. I can confirm that we have received the diagnostics from your machine and I have attached it to your case for QA to review.

Can I please also ask you to send us an archive of your scheduled backup so that I can attach that as well? You can use these instructions except instead of navigating to your RoonServer location, please navigate to your backed up database location and then upload it using a shared Dropbox or Google Drive link and we can take a look.

I would then go ahead and perform the restore of the old database with the instructions I previously provided:

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Hectorson,

I wanted to follow up with you here and ask if you could upload your last scheduled backup for analysis. Preferably this would be uploaded as a shared Dropbox or Google Drive file but if you don’t have either of these services just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload method.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

Thanks for the follow up. I don’t have the space available to upload my whole backup to a cloud service, what is the other option?

Thanks,

Matt

Hello @Hectorson,

I have PM’d you instructions, please let me know the name of the file(s) after upload.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Hectorson,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. The backup you sent over to us is corrupted, I am not sure if this is due to the contents or because of the archiving program. Can you please try sending the backup again? Is there any change to the backup behavior since upgrading to 1.6?

Thanks,
Noris