On Opening Roon...two instances and bouncing icon?

So when I open Roon on my Macbook (not the core)…it opens but a second instance of Roon opens on the dock and starts bouncing for about a minute and then I have a second image in the dock…but this does not have the little dot next to it to indicate it’s open nor does clicking on it do anything. It just sits there next to the open Roon dock image…?

Hey @AndyPgive this a read and let us know if you’re still stuck, ok?

Thanks!

Hi Mike

I did this in the terminal
sudo chown $(whoami) ~ ~/Library; chmod u+rwx ~/ ~/Library
as suggested, put my password in…but no difference I’m afraid. Still got a bouncing icon for two minutes and then …two icons in the dock

Actually I’ve just looked at my Mac Mini (core) and this has two icons in the dock too!
But I remember thinking that that makes sense as I thought one was Core, the other the App…?? If that is the case then maybe I have two cores? How can I tell if my Macbook is running a Core too?

Thanks

Andy

Hi @AndyP ---- On the MacBook remote, if you go into “settings” and then into the “general” tab what does the device list as being connected to?

Example from my MacBook-Air remote:
54 PM

-Eric

So it says connected to Mac Mini …which is correct.

What next?

Thanks for getting back to me with the requested feedback @AndyP, very appreciated!

Continuing forward, if you hit the “disconnect” button on the Macbook remote how many core machines show up as possible choices? Are there any other device in your setup besides the mentioned MacMini and Macbook?

Additionally, since noticing this behavior have you tried reinstalling the application on any of these devices?
-Eric

Hi Eric

I have done both of these things and there is no difference

Thanks

Andy

Hi @AndyP ----- Thank you for touching base with me and verifying that you have already tried to reinstall as well as providing a screenshot of your activity monitor. The insight is appreciated.

Continuing forward, I have enabled diagnostics on your accounts so our techs can try to determine what could be causing this behavior to occur. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core device a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

Once the mentioned reports have been received I will be sure to update this thread so you know that we have it and then I will swiftly pass them over to the team for further analysis.

-Eric

Thanks Eric

Just thinking here…Incase the upload takes a little while, better leave it sit in that condition for a while…maybe @Eric could elaborate on what a good guideline might be for that. :blush:

Thanks…it is permanently in that condition so it should be OK!

If you right click on the 2 icons and select Options and the Show in Finder what do they both indicate?

1 Like

It’s not possible to right click on the icons in the dock, nor in the activity monitor!

Hi @AndyP ---- Touching base to let you know that the mentioned diagnostics report has been received and is now in our tech team’s queue for analysis.

Once your ticket has been updated and passed back to me I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asp. Your patience while the team conduct’s their evaluation is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @AndyP ---- Thank you for your patience here while our techs have been looking into this behavior you’ve reported to us.

Continuing forward, our team has asked if you would kindly try the following procedure to see if we can trigger a change with install on the Roon remote device (i.e Macbook):

• Before anything, please make a backup of your current Roon database.

• Once the backup has been created please close the application on the Macbook remote.

• Delete the application on the Macbook and any relevant folders in the “library” directory (i.e “Roon” folder" and “RAATSever” folder)

• Once everything has been deleted and the “trash” has been emptied, please re-install Roon on this device.

-Eric

Hi
I have done this…it made no difference at all. The situation remains the same.
Thanks
Andy

Thank you for the follow up @AndyP and sharing the results of the proposed test, very appreciated.

Continuing forward, I have re-enabled diagnostics on your account so we can see what is happening after the fresh install on the MBP remote. As before this action will be fulfilled when the application is active on both the core machine and the remote. I will confirm when the update diagnostics have reached our servers.

Andy, out of curiosity, the Roon icon is docked, correct? And you are not launching say via: “Applications”, “Spotlight”, or “Launchpad”?

-Eric

Hi
No I am launching from a launcher sometimes and from Applications also.
Thanks

Andy

@AndyP, as a very quick test would you kindly please verify for me what the behavior is exhibited when the application is launched via the “dock”? Thanks!

-Eric

Yes
Roon opens as normal. The icon appears in the dock.
Then…another instance of the icon appears in the dock, next to the original, and starts bouncing…for between 2 and minutes, it bounces, eventually stopping bouncing to sit in the dock next to the first icon.