One Click Play Please [Delivered]

As I said, it the queue can be memorised and returned to, then it would be a welcome feature, but all depends how. Would definitely not want to lose the ability to ‘add next’ and ‘add to the queue’. To me 2 clicks to get done what you want to is ok, 3 clicks too much, and 1 click acceptable within limitations that come with just 1 click.

+1 for one click play please :slight_smile:

More discussion here with a suggested solution which would keep everyone happy.

Sorry Joel, but that “solution” wouldn’t keep me happy, for one

Many times within the one listening session, I want to have the choice to Play NOW, or Next or Add… and I make those choices arbitrarily throughout a listening session

For example, I might start playing an album… See that there are several other performances of the same track… and wish to listen to 2-3 of those and want to listen to them NEXT rather than adding to end

And in the solution proposed, I would First need to change the “mode”… and then a further click to add next… so Two clicks anyway!!.. and then need to change the mode again, if I wished to add other tracks to the end

All in all, I prefer to make those kind of choices when adding those tracks… and the pawmasher allows for that

The solution proposed would mean that I would FIRST have to change mode… and only then add the tracks… which is less logical to me than first clicking Play and then making your choice about where to place them in the Queue

So, in a choice between those two solutions, consider this a vote for the pawmasher over the iPeng based solution

1 Like

Also FWIW, Sonos had the same Two Step approach to adding tracks… I. e.

First choose your tracks / album
Second choose Where to place them in the queue

So while Roon’s choice of Queue building may not be perfect, it’s hardly unprecedented given Sonos’ market penetration over the past 10 years

@Ronnie Retaining the pawmasher was one of the options and I suggested that it should be the default.

Apologies Joel, That’s not how I read your question above…I read it as a questioning of the need for the Pawmasher [or similar intermediate screen]…I didn’t read it as a suggestion / recommendation that the pawmasher remain as the Default option

Personally, I see Roon as asking TWO very logical questions…and asking them in a logical order

1. WHAT would you like to Play [Album, Favourites, selected Tracks, Playlist etc., etc]
  2. WHERE would you like to Place them in the Queue

and it makes sense to me to ask the WHAT question first…and the WHERE question second

Whereas with the iPeng option, you need to first change the WHERE by changing the Mode…and then selecting the WHAT…and I guess that would be my argument against the iPeng,for MY requirements

But many here may be happy to set the iPeng method as their Default

1 Like

Another vote for one click play. Make all the other accessible through long-press.

4 Likes

Leave as is, I need the exercise.

SJB

4 Likes

Ride a bike or go for a walk :bicyclist: :walking:

I use the add next and add to queue options all the time

1 Like

Then you’re used to waiting, what’s a long press to you :grin:

A long press is much worse than you having to do one extra tap.

And even with a long press how would you distinguish between add next and add to queue?

Long press for add next, extra long press for add to queue?

I simply can’t grasp how it’s so upsetting to have to click “play now”. If it was equivalent to say dialing a 0 on a rotary telephone I would totally understand everyone’s pain.

edit - my above comments aren’t directed to you evand, just a general statment.

1 Like

I’m not getting why this is a big problem for some… I seriously don’t get it… +1 for it’s fine the way it is.

Hit play, hit play again or hit add to queue or hit radio or hit add next.

2 Likes

When you used a CDP or transport and pressed play, did it ask you whether you are sure or what you wanted to play?

When you wanted to ‘play from here’ did you not navigate to the relevant track and press play?

Presently we’re forced to click on the album cover, then choose play, then choose play album or radio station.

Choice as to how playback works would be great.

2 Likes

A CD player does not have the ability to play as many albums you’d like to in a row. That is a GREAT feature of having a queue… Unfortunately, you have to press one more button… A very small price to pay for a GREAT feature.

1 Like

and nobody is advocating doing away with the queue

I use play queue a lot. And, I do not want a single click play. If it was an option I wouldn’t turn it on. Way too many scenarios where queues would be trashed accidentally. I think there are also many other developments that I’d do before this.

1 Like

I can’t think of a way that this could be implement on a mouse based system but a ‘flick to play’ button could be built easily enough for touch based system. Like a ‘swipe to unlock’ on iOS, reimagine the play button so that is has a short swipe action (about 2cm) that instructs the chosen track or album to play now.
The other default cation could still take place, tap once to open paw masher, hold to open contextual menu.

1. Quick swipe on Play Button or track name to play now
  2. Tap Play Button or track name to open paw masher
  3. Hold Play Button or track name to open contextual menu