One Click Play Please [Delivered]

This topic started back in Jun 2015. There were requests for polls but no one took the initiative to create one so I did. I really would have like that your proposal was laid out here before the poll was created and not after the fact.

Edit the poll options and reset voting

With over 70 votes and discussions have already progressed around the choices, I’ll leave it as it is. The difference is only in the semantics.

The poll basically just included another item “Add one click play. It is a must…”. I added this to gauge how passionate some users are in having this capability.

From the poll below, 54% (45% + 9%) prefers one click play.

I will not make it more complicated than it is.

…of those that voted.

Exaclty. One Roon know how many voted relative to their whole user base. Even with user base, I’m sure some of them paid for it but rarely uses Roon at all.

It wasnt a complaint - just a comment - and I didn’t know someone was going to start a poll :slight_smile: If I felt that seriously about it I would have started a poll myself.

In any case this small set of votes shows that neither camp is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. As expected there is no majority or silent minority, but about half of users who voted would prefer some changes. Certainly not one I think should be ignored…

1 Like

Isn’t that implicit? :wink:

Implicit yes, but not necessarily immediately obvious to all.

Agreed. Part of me wants to create a separate thread called “Three Click Play Please” just to ensure the current functionality isn’t removed because the “for” side didn’t scream as loudly as those “against”.

1 Like

Please don’t. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how it could be emphasised more - the request is for an option, for those who want it. Screaming loudly isn’t required, and certainly not for keeping the default the way it is now.

I can completely appreciate that. It’s those who lambast the current behaviour as a UI abomination that I take issue with, as someone who appreciates the choices provided after hitting play.

In the WordPress development Philosopy there is a saying “decisions, not options”

“Every time you give a user an option, you are asking them to make a decision. When a user doesn’t care or understand the option this ultimately leads to frustration. As developers we sometimes feel that providing options for everything is a good thing, you can never have too many choices, right? Ultimately these choices end up being technical ones, choices that the average end user has no interest in. It’s our duty as developers to make smart design decisions and avoid putting the weight of technical choices on our end users.”

https://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/

The Roon developers have made a decision here, and much like horizontal scrolling, I don’t see them changing their mind on this particular topic.

1 Like

Options in my opinion are a good thing, if they allow one to customize the interface to ones personal preferences.

Sure start with a default setting, but where possible give those who prefer and a have desire to work differently that option.

2 Likes

Let’s not get side tracked with horizontal scrolling, there is another topic for that.

1 Like

+1 One click play, whether configurable or not, seems a no brainer on a beautiful system (front end for me for HQplayer) like Roon.

OK Everyone, we’ve given this so much work and thought… we have a solution planned for the next major UI release.

I can’t give any schedules or details, but I’m positive all of you will be happy with the result.

This new UI is as far from current Roon as Roon 1.0 was from iTunes!

13 Likes

Patiently Waiting :slight_smile: . Thanks Team Roon.

You guys have had a busy night! :wink: :smile:

Thanks Danny, much appreciate the feedback. Kudos to you and your team.

Done :sunglasses:

5 Likes