One core - his and her library

Enabling and disabling storage folders seems to depend on folder size. A folder with a small number of albums (250) reconnects without any noticeable delay. However, a folder with 7,500 albums takes 45 seconds to reconnect.

1 Like

Why do you need different libraries for different users? Why not just one big library for everyone?

Just trying to understand.

One I can think of (and I went through this) different taste in music… My wife listens to spanish music. I dont.
One of my kids Like Christian RAP, I dont. One of my kids like concerto, We share library’s :slight_smile:
and another likes Dubstep, chill, electronic, edm, etc…

I use a combination of user accounts, folder structure with tags, and playlists.
Works well if you take the time.

2 Likes

This reminds me of Justin Towns Earle who took up golf to rebel against his dad.

1 Like

That’s the issue - takes time. It’s a kludge. And often the non-audiophile family members won’t put up with workarounds. My wife won’t touch anything that isn’t a fully baked perfect consumer electronic item.

That’s why I was saying that if this involves the family, a separate core isn’t a bad idea.

Also, if all of your music is mixed in the same library - even if you use tags, separate folder paths for each person’s music, etc., can you use Radio without the risk of others’ music getting into the mix?

You have bigger problems :stuck_out_tongue:

I manage the backend… My kids do the rest on their own… My wife is a whole different story… I do most of the work for her just so I dont confuse her… But she manages her own account. I take time to make sure she understands how things work.

I do not present Roon to my family as an audiophile appliance. I present it as “Here is how you listen to music”… If its the kids, They do all the work, They have access to the shares via cifs and they drop their purchases. A few seconds later their albumb shows and they added to their tags… Done.
We dont use the radio function… I never did… We use playlists and radio streams.

The family loves it because they get a good experience… and like anything is all about a getting a good experience :smiley:

With that said… I invested alot of time on my home network and infrastructure to bring an near perfect experience to my family. For the most part everything just works. Like anything human made… Nothing is perfect.

At any rate… Like anything… There is different ways to skin the cat… Throwing money at it is one of them :wink:

Fair point. This is why in my prior post I suggested that Roon would provide a heavy discount for second and subsequent licenses, since they market a whole house audio system that requires some level of workaround (as you do) in order to serve different users in the house.

Might be handy if Roon would just create a tag associated with the added folder - make the create/edit storage location dialog have a tag name field that get applied to everything in the folder.

Then it would be really easy - a folder per user (they can even have their own permissions on the NAS) so they can manage their own library section. Everyone happy.

1 Like

You can do this by having different top level folders named for each person and a bookmark to Focus on that Inspector/Storage Location. No tagging involved, but you have to load music into the right place on your computer.

2 Likes

Yes I did understand that people listen to different types of music, I just didn’t get why they need different libraries. But I guess it doesn’t matter if I get it or not :slight_smile:

I’m happily paying for Tidal, even though it has all kinds of music I don’t like. It’s not like I’m selecting the music to play blindfolded or anything. But to each their own.

I think it depends on what the user wants out of Roon.

Certainly to select specific albums or tracks, tags or other workarounds are fine to have one user playing rap from “her collection” and another playing classical from hers.

But if you want to use radio, discover, only have your artists show up as features, see your collection as the focus of the artist affiliations, etc., then those workarounds won’t get you there.

Sure you could use the folder workaround but that could be painfully slow with a sizeble collection and who wants to have to reconfigure a basic Roon setting just to use it. Plus, if you do that, how do users use Roon at the same time.

Right now, to use full Roon, on different collections in the same house, you need 2 cores. I hope Roon considers selling second licenses to the same user family for a deep discount. At least until the software supports that use case.

1 Like

Will the Radio feature honor this setup? i.e. not bringing music from one collection into a radio sequence that was started from the other collection?

No. This is a Focus view that selects for viewing. My understanding is that Radio selects from the whole library.

Having said that, I think"Start Radio" is a Play option for such a Focus view. If that option is used Radio will try to play music like the Focus. That will include music within the Focus but may include music outside the Focus which Radio believes is similar.