One Nucleus as Core, 2nd as endpoint?

@SteveSilberman: Can the Nucleus be used as an endpoint while a separate Nucleus serves as the core?

Oops, sorry read Nucleus and thought NUC. I have multiple NUCs.

Why buy a 2nd Nucleus. Kind of an expensive overkill.

OK, thanks anyway!

Hi Dennis –

The answer is yes. If a person wants to use a second Nucleus as a bridge to an USB or HDMI device this can be done.

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

Can you please tell me if you have a reason in doing so? I’m just curious, I do not know your setup/experience, but the configuration you asked for is a very expensive one with no evident advantage.

I know of no evident advantage, either. I asked because I heard someone say that 2 or more Nuclei could be in one system. I was puzzled as to why anyone would want this. So, I reasoned it must be that one could use the Nucleus as an endpoint. I wanted to find out if that’s true.

@SteveSilberman: Hey Steve, when you write one may “use a second Nucleus as a bridge to an USB or HDMI device,” do you mean various HDMI and USB devices could serve as sources, like Sonos allows “local” sources to be shared throughout a Sonos system? So, I could connect a BD player to the Nucleus that’s acting as a bridge and hear that BD player throughout the Roon system?

And/Or, do you mean that a local HDMI device (e.g. an AV Receiver) and USB devices (e.g. a DAC) throughout the home would receive signal from the Nucleus that’s acting as a bridge?

Hi @Dennis_Hartwick. The Nucleus’ USB and the HDMI ports serve as audio outputs, so it can play out of the N or N+ into USB DAC’s and or HDMI receivers.
Setup is simple. In settings – audio: you’ll see the second N (or N+) and the connected audio devices. Just enable and name these devices and you can now play to them as a zone(s).

Thanks, Steve.