One of my computers will not start ROON

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MSi GV72 8RE
Windows 10 – 1903 – build 18362.175
Roon – latest from your website, tried both 32 and 64 bit.

Video GeForce GTX 1060
Driver 430.86
internal screen @ 19201080 and Dell 27" @ 25601440

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Qualcom Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E
Speed 1000/1000
IP v4 & v6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB To Alesis M1Active - 520USB

Description Of Issue
This computer is the only on in my home that will not connect to my ROON server (1.6). I have different machines with identical OS and connection (Ethernet) as well as an iPad and a Windows tablet that works perfect.

Server is on a Dell 9010 with Windows10 – 1903, also on ethernet

I have had the same problem since this computer was new. I got it connecting once, after uninstalling and reinstalling Roon (1.6)

Roon is freezing at startup

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu,

Cal you clarify what exactly you mean by Roon will not start? Do you see a blank white page, or does the application open and then immediately quit?

Since this computer is only being used as a Roon Remote (from what I understand), I would go ahead and set the old Roon database aside and install it fresh. To set the old database aside you can use these instructions:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location (on the Roon Remote, not on the Core)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Does that help with the issue? If the behavior is still present after please clarify how exactly it is freezing.

You might want to briefly turn off Windows Defender Firewall on the computer that doesn’t behave. If turning off the firewall solves the problem, look at the firewall settings. (I had such a problem.)

1 Like

Hi.

Some more testing and this is what I found;

Renaming the roon-folder and reinstalling makes Roon work normal.

My computer has two monitors - the external monitor as master. When I “leave Roon running” on this monitor everything works well – including after a restart of the PC.

Then I “move Roon” to the internal monitor and restart the PC. After restart Roon will not start normally (as described earlier).

It says “Roon (not responding)”
bilde
Something wrong with the display drivers?

Observation: the internal monitor support HD Colour for streaming HDR-video. The external has no such support.

For now I leave Roon running on the external monitor and all is well.

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu,

Are you using any apps to manager your multiple monitors, like Display Fusion?

Are you using the 64bit install of Roon? If you use the 32 bit version is there any change?

Hi.
No apps to manage monitors - out of the box from MSi.

And same issue with both 32 & 64.
I use 64.

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu,

Does this behavior only occur when you minimize the app and open it once more or does it occur on a fresh boot too?

I am using the same graphics card that you are and I haven’t had any issues with Roon running on either monitor, although I do have an older version of the graphics driver installed (419.35) and no internal display (using a desktop).

If you wish to try and resolve this behavior, rolling back the graphics drivers may help. I also saw a post that an MSI application called “Nahimic” can cause similar behavior to apps, so if you have this installed, I would try to exit out and see if it helps.

Hi.
It occurs on both.

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu,

Is Roon by any chance using different GPUs based on which monitor this starts off on? You mentioned that you are using the GTX 1060, and if you have NVIDIA control panel installed, I would use these instructions to see if “forcing” Roon to use the internal vs external GPU triggers any change in behavior.

Just to clarify here, if you reinstall Roon, does the internal display work as expected for some time, or does the issue immediately occur?

It occurs immediately

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu,

Thank you for confirming that. Can you please let me know the model of your external monitor that Roon is working as expected on? Did my previous instructions (<-clickable link) of forcing Roon to use the internal vs external GPU trigger any change in behavior?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.