One track with vocal issue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.14.4 on the Roon Server and Bridge Mac Minis

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired connection to Mac Mini running Roon Server version 1.6 (build 401)
Wired connection to Mac Mini running Roon Bridge version 1.0 (build 169)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

Meridian Explorer connected via USB to Mac Mini running Roon Bridge
Audio cable connecting Meridian Explorer to Outlaw Audio RR2160 receiver which is connected to HSU speakers and SVS sub

Description Of Issue

I ripped all of my CDs years ago using XLD on a Mac. These were all ripped lossless. I have Roon pointed toward the folder that contains all of my CDs. One of the CDs I ripped is Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced. The first track on this CD is Purple Haze. The first part of the song sound fine. As soon as the vocals start they are barely audible. Other tracks on this same CD sound fine. I have my entire collection backed up to an external hard drive that I have at work. The hard drive is connected to an iMac I have at work and some USB based speakers are connected to the iMac. Purple Haze plays perfect at work, vocals sound just fine.

Before I did this check at work I thought the copy of Are You Experienced I purchased years ago might be the issue. The CD I had was released in 1997. I purchased a new copy of this CD that was released in 2010. I ripped it using XLD and that had the same issue.

Hi @David_Henderson,

Does this behavior occur when playing to a different endpoint, like System Output of the Core machine?

Do you have DSP enabled for this Zone? Does disabling it yield any different results?

Out of curiosity, I tried this track streamed from Qobuz but not via Roon.

It sounds OK if your system is well balanced but it is worth noting that the vocal is heavily skewed to the right channel with barely a whisper in the left channel.
Does this observation perhaps provide a clue?

The same skewing of the vocal on this album is track ‘I don’t live today’. Similarly, track ‘Foxey Lady’ but to the left channel.

How do these tracks sound through your system?

The vocals on Foxey Lady sound fine. You are correct, the vocals on Purple Haze are all in the right channel. When I show the track list of this album, there is an icon to the right of Purple Haze. It is a square box with a 1 in it and what looks like a CD popping out of the top. No other track has this icon. I do not have a subscription to Tidal or any other streaming service. All of my music is ripped CDs

The issue was with my Outlaw Audio receiver, I have sent it in for repairs

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.