OpenGL goes deprecated with macOS 10.14 Mojave

What does that mean to Roon? When Apple drops OpenGL with macOS 10.15, will there be no Roon for macOS anymore? That would be bad, as I just switched to lifetime.

https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new

Similar for iOS.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

What does that mean to Roon? I guess it means they will have to rewrite in an alternative graphics system, but more importantly perhaps, does it affect the release of the GUI overhauled version of Roon due this year (?) ?

Deprecated means that people should not start making new apps using an interface. It doesn’t mean that existing applications are about to die.

Apple has a huge number of APIs that were deprecated 5-10+ years ago, but which are still working. It would be self-destructive for them to break OpenGL quickly or without a huge period of warning. Think about all of that revenue that they earn from micro-transactions in OpenGL-based iPhone games.

We have had plans for a while to move Roon’s rendering engine over to something from a 3rd party that can sit on top of to multiple hardware rendering interfaces (DirectX, OpenGL, Vulcan, Metal, OpenGL(ES), etc). This will improve performance, make the app smoother, increase our capabilities with regard to animations/transitions, and as a side benefit, it will help us get past this kind of stuff.

If for some reason Apple decides to move much faster than usual on this, we’ll just speed up that project. No big deal. Keep calm and carry on…

17 Likes

I just encountered this thread, so I apologize for the dated reply.

If for some reason Apple decides to move much faster than usual on this, we’ll just speed up that project. No big deal. Keep calm and carry on…

Assuming Apple doesn’t accelerate the timeline, is there a rough version target for this new implementation?

Michael, I’ll eat my hat or yours (your choice) if they answer this question. :smile: Can you be happy with, “it’s on the roadmap”?

Since when have Apple accelerated anything? I’m still waiting for the Apple TV set that Steve Jobs promised…:smile:

1 Like

They seem to accelerate their price rises :grimacing:

2 Likes

And people seem happy to pay the outrageous prices, so why not.

Already occurred … my Metal compatible Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti runs Mojave under a Mac driver …

But when I try to open Roon I get a message that OpenGL 3 unavailable and Roon cannot start.

So please speed up that project.

Hey, I’m happy with the product as is. Just curious—I’m ok with the answer being “Nope!”