OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

If you only connect it with two speakers and without subwoofer, then yes, you should set both to large, no subwoofer, and downmix to stereo. Crossover setting should not matter if all speakers are set to large.

This depends whether you listen to multichannel music or stereo music only. If you only listen to stereo music, you needn’t to down mix the signal via oppo (you can use the setting of rrwwss52). If your source is multichannel music, you have two possibilities: use the down mix of the Oppo and send the stereo signal to your amp or let your amp doing the down mix. I do it the second way.

@wklie and @Frank_Klaeren: are you guys talking about the “Stereo Signal” sub menu or “speakers” sub menu? both under “audio processing” main menu.

Source is two-channel stereo, using Roon. Using dedicated stereo XLR analog outputs on Oppo (NOT the analog multi channel range of outputs).

Recommended settings for stereo output are on page 64.
Audio processing starts on page 59.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

Page 64 refers to the analog multi channel outputs on Oppo. Nothing to do with the dedicated stereo outputs (XLR and RCA)

take a look at page 15. The downmix settings shouldn’t matter. Read subnote on page 15.

That’s it! Thanks.

It appears that once the dedicated stereo outs on Oppo are connected to a stereo pre or integrated or amp, then nothing on the other settings (such as Audio Processing) matter.

I found this from Oppo on Facebook.

I just downloaded the update for my UDP-203.

Just Called Oppo Digital. Per their support, the UDP-203 has technical limitations that prevent MQA decoding (at this time). Also, multichannel HDMI support via Roon is not planned or forthcoming.

Well, that is good to know for those in the decision process.

This does NOT work w/ Roon

Can the Oppo 205 decode Tidal MQA files being fed via Roon?
Never Mind! I just read another thread that answers that question: No it does not decode MQA files fed via Roon.

I’m considering getting an OPPO. I would value any feedback from people using it to connect to Roon using wifi only (ie, not hard wired into your LAN). Thanks.

Robert, per my question to Oppo about multi-channel handling from Roon, “Unfortunately the hardware injection of the player will only support stereo audio from Roon. This is a limitation of the hardware and not something that we will be able to address through any future firmware release.”

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr."

So, a bit of bloom off the rose. I wonder if Roon will change Oppo’s designation to something different now. Some possibilities:
Roon Ready-ish
Roon Ready* (*except for some features that are hard to do)
Roon Cognizant
Roon Buddy

JV

Seems weird. I can play multi channel FLAC from my NAS over ethernet… Why not through Roon?

Hi John, maybe the next release Oppo (the 303) might have it. I have a small collection of multichannel flac albums I converted from DVD and can still access them using the Oppo via my network. It’s not through Roon, but works sufficiently. Hoping the “303” (a couple of years from now) picks up MQA in the base model as well.

Robert, Well, my interest in the topic currently is mainly philosophical. IMHO, for ‘Roon Ready’ to mean something, the standards must be objective and upheld. Otherwise, what’s the point of the label?

BTW, we have similar tastes in systems, maybe similar budgets too. I’m not new to music, but am new to the audiophile scene. I recently bought two MRKs - 520 and 720 for two rooms/systems, and the Oppo 203. I’ve yet to strap on a stand alone DAC or any balanced output devices. Guess I’m just a poser :slight_smile:

Just built a NUC Rock, and repurposed a low-end NAS to go back to 2am backups only; not the right equipment for heavy access. The Rock install and build was a relative breeze. Now just loading over my music to a Rock external drive. I think its going to be a major step up in performance.

Happy New Year and a blessed religious event of your choosing or, if you prefer none, then I take back the last part (trying to get used to PC speech). John

Hi John. I use an MRX 720 as a prepro. Use a Schiit Gumby DAC / (Meridian headphone amp /DAC for MQA) and tube buffer to feed each DAC. Pretty happy where I’m at equipment wise.

Robert, I am strongly leaning to a gumby myself. Is the Oppo your endpoint for all of this? And, for the slow among us (i.e. me), tell me the signal path(s).

@John_V

I have multiple endpoints. The OPPO 203 and Bryston BDP-1 feed the Schiit Gumby…