OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

Hmm…seems I spoke too soon in a sense. I’m getting the purple signal path when playing back tidal tracks or my own flac files.
DSD is another story…seems it does all sort of conversions and comes up green.

If you post a signal path image it will help us to understand what’s happening.

Please read earlier documentation in this thread. The OPPOs do not accept DSD via RAAT. That is the reason for conversion(s).

AJ

At Danny’s suggestion, I wrote an email to Oppo inquiring about the likelihood of a firmware update to their 205 model for multi-channel streaming direct from Roon and received a borderline-shocking Oppo Customer Service response: “Unfortunately no. The player will never be able to support multi-channel from Roon integration. If you need multi-channel, then you will need to use DLNA or SMB streaming to get the files over the network or a direct connection with HDMI.”

Yes, they have said that to everyone who inquires. I think it has been posted before.

Still good you contacted them. When their new product release comes “UDP-303/305” out (every two or three years) hopefully they incorporate the technology needed for Roon multichannel. If they don’t release it, someone else will.

Why wait? There are other ways to play multichannel from ROON.

1 Like

I think we may be mixing apples and oranges here, The Oppo can play multichannel PCM files from my NAS. But if you want the best sound quality you are feeding the rear USB input with DSD 512 material (straight or upsampled/converted). That can only be done in 2-channel and would require a significantly more expensive chip implementation to provide that same quality in 5.1 channels. As much as I’d love to see that implemented in a 305 versiuon, it will likely need to be at a meaningfully higher price point.

Kal: are you aware of a multichannel implementation that gets you Oppo equivalent 2-channel DSD 512 playback sound quality in a 5.1 channel configuration at anywhere near the price?

…or buy something else.

Nope, there is no multichannel solution above the miniDSP UDAC-8 but below the exaSound e38 except HDMI into a prepro or AVR. FWIW, I cannot play DSD512 but see no need for it. I play my files in native format and I have only 1 DSD512 recording.

Yes an image of the signal path would be useful…cheers. Here 'tis

Just a quick question. If you use a Mac as server is it possible to send DSD258 and DSD512 to the Oppo 205 - it looks like no driver is needed for Mac and I just worried that there were limits to what level of DSD that could be send by MAC over USB to the Oppo

A post was split to a new topic: MQA support is coming to OPPO

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can an Oppo UDP-205 be setup without a TV?

Anybody know the settings on Oppo for a two channel audio only setup using the UDP-205 as a Roon Endpoint?

This is how I’m setup on my UDP-203. Hope that helps.

Thanks. But I meant on Oppo menus. Not on Roon

I can’t screen shot those, but it’s pretty intuitive. Is there a setting you are having trouble with?

Yes. Do I only look at the Stereo Signal sub menu set it down-mix, or also at “speaker configuration” submenu, and change those to stereo down mix, speakers to large, no subwoofer, as well?

How about crossovers? I don’t one any crossovers applied on Oppo, since I have the preamp taking care of those

My settings are as follows: I have a six speaker 2.0 stereo, 7.1 setup (11 speakers plus sub)

My crossover is set at 80Hz.
Downmix mode 7.1 (stereo is a choice)
Stereo speakers mains set to large
mostly stereo listening via integrated amp (pre)

Oppo Digital phone support is available if you have specific questions on how the downmix is applied…