OPPO UDP-205 MQA (via USB-In) is now live!

I tried it, no luck.

Thank you,
Goran

What settings in the Audio section of the setup menu are you using? You should not have to use “upsample” to get this to work.

Sorry for the delay. Here are my settings on Roon. My OPPO settings are below that.

And here are the OPPO Settings:

In the OPPO 205 settings change “Output Volume” to “Fixed.” Try “Filter Characteristics” of “Apodizing Fast.”

In the Roon OPPO 205 settings “Load Defaults” to change the “Max Sample Rate (PCM)” back to “Up to 384kHz”. You should be able to use “Native DSD” with an ASIO driver for Windows 10.

Try these changes to achieve your goal.

1 Like

Thank you Chris for your generous support. I tried your suggestions and I still cannot get the “MQA Studio” label + OPS Sampling Frequency to show up in the top right corner of the TV, when the info button is pressed.

I have this question for you: when I use the USB DAC Asio device, I never get the full signal path including the MQA authentication and the MQA full decoder. The MQA full decoder only shows up when I use the USB DAC WASAPI in exclusive mode. When using the ASIO device I only get the MQA authentication. So are you achieving your MQA Studio label on the TV with the ASIO device, and if so, what does your signal path look like?

Other than that, when I click on Load Defaults, I actually get “Up to 768KHz”, I am not sure why the discrepancy. And I was able to set the Native DSD. And I was able to set the OPPO volume and filter as you state above.

Thank you again,
Goran

Hello @G_Man,

Make sure that your Oppo mainboard firmware is up-to-date, this will enable the MQA information to show in the top right of the display. You can find the download link and instructions on how to do this here (I believe the network option is no longer working, so use USB)

As to why you are not getting MQA in your signal path when using the ASIO driver, make sure that your “MQA Capabilities” are set to “Decoder and Renderer” for the ASIO Device Setup.

-John

Caution if you are using HQ player with the latest usb update (vers 118), it renders it useless, only producing noise. I’ve been trying for a month to back up to version 112, but have been unable to, so HQplayer is essentially bricked.

This signal path looks correct. Is the issue that you are not seeing MQA on the OPPO display?

Yes, Chris. The last remaining issue is that I am not seeing MQA on the OPPO display.

Reset the OPPO to factory defaults? If you are not using “fixed” volume output - it may not display MQA.

Confirm your firmware and USB versions and post them here.

OK, I will.

But I gotta work tonight.

Thanks again.

Where to start? I am so tired… For the last perhaps 2 months I’ve been using my STi5 + uR feeding my Qutest with HQPe. As some of you might have read in these thread or others I used to have a white noise coming randomly from just one channel when upsampling to DSD 256 and PCM768. Recently I discovered how to get rid of it just by checking the auto rate family box. And as it was suggest by me and others it was not related to the FMCs I use

… Today and because I have decided to send my OPPO 205 to Korea for an hardware upgrade I did the USB Dac upgrade to the last version (0118) in order to benefit from the full decoding and rendering MQA. How I was happy. After listening for the first time to some very good MQA files, I decided to revert to Roon upsampling DSD. White noise from the 2 channels. What??? Yes it was true. After a couple of experiences I discovered that only DSD DoP was now accepted. Before, DSD native was running ok even if it was not feasable at 512 with my ST5. I tried 64, 128 and 256. No luck, white noise always without checking DoP. I turned to HQPe. Imediately the white noise started. So I checked the DoP. And I tried a couple of more tracks. Some were working others not. It turned out that every MQA track when upsampling to DSD was not working at all. No sound at all. What was really strange is that I could see that in Roon was showing DSD output but in my TV was just showing LPCM 768. Every non-MQA track was working fine if DoP was checked. Turning again to Roon DSP and upsampling. When playing MQA tracks with DSD256 enabled and DoP I just had the normal MQA rendering and decoding without any upsampling to DSD… On the contrary, the non-MQA files were upsampled to DSD256. I am posting here because over the last 2 months there was also a couple of upgrades not just the one from HQPe from last week but also some related to the OS from STi5 and uR if I am not mistaken. So because I just switchon today my Oppo 205 for the USB Dac firmware upgrade I can’t know for sure if it is related to this upgrade or the STi5 or uR upgrades. Any help would be much appreciated. I am going to post my commentson other related fora. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for working through this. My UPD-205 arrives tomorrow and I’m excited to get full MQA!

It’s really a fantastic machine, but you will have to choose between MQA or DAD… Please read my post and also share your views if you decide to update the Dac firmware to version 0118 (needed to have full MQA rendering and decoding. Will someone from OPPO do something about? Please?

1 Like

In my case, DSD goes through my Esoteric K-03X so that is not an issue for me. I’ll use the Oppo mainly for video, but the ability to play full MQA will be fun!

It is not an either or situation. MQA and DSD decoding work well with the 205 when connected to a Windows or Mac USB port.

I am afraid I haven’t mentioned that the STi5 runs on Linux. I am so sorry Chris. My apologies.
And by the way Mac just accepts DoP 256 DSD no matter what Dac you use. You’re lucky that you can have DSD 512 with Windows. I was also the case with Linux. Not any more. Cheers

Not with HQ player…, see my post above

The 205 has an upsampling chip. Why software upsample? Why not use Roon to upsample? Why complicate it. 16-24/44-384 sounds awesome.

i) Read my post on Roon upsampling please.
ii) Try also HQP.For 30m it’s free during 1 month, if I am not wrong. You will understand immediately.