Optical or RAAT/Wifi

Hey everyone, based on poor internet connection, I may be forced to use optical out into the DAC instead of wifi (don’t have ethernet option because my place doesn’t have wall ethernet ports for other rooms). I’m getting ~88mb wifi speeds to my PC but apparently its not strong enough to play Roon without skipping. Is there significant performance loss from doing this (including MQA)?

PC Setup - Core
PC - Skylake i5 6600k - ~70/80mbs wifi download
Wifi adapter - high end TP Link

Internet Setup
Spectrum modem
Apple Airport Extreme as router

Audio Setup
Bedroom (same room as PC):

• Powernode 2 (connected wirelessly)
  • PSB bookshelf speakers

Living room (same room as router (I could hardwire Node to the router)):
*Node 2 (connected wirelessly)
*NAD C375BEE amp
*PSB tower speakers

The ultimate issue is that Roon is somewhat skippy. In the bedroom I could just use optical from my PC into the Powernode. For the stereo in the living room, I could plug Node via ethernet cable into router and see if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

What is it that you mean by “poor internet connection”? Your external network connection (i.e. Internet) performance does not affect your internal network connection performance for Roon playback of local files.

Additionally, unless your DAC has an Ethernet input and is Roon compatible, your DAC is not relying on RAAT all the way from the Roon core. A Roon endpoint, for example, could be running on RAAT from the Roon core, but it still would output to a typical DAC via S/PDIF or USB.

AJ

1 Like

HI Jeff, I’m not understanding your question. Can you clarify the audio chain you are inquiring about?

1 Like

Without specifying every single component in the system with both options, it’s impossible for anyone to provide you with an answer worth listening to. Even if they know what they’re talking about.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff, are you saying you have a poor internet connection from your ISP, or having an issue with connectivity in your home network? Or both?

Thanks for the responses. I updated my question to make more sense. Jeff

Hi @Jeff_Ross — Thank you for the question and sharing your feedback with us. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, I am still a bit “foggy” on what the question is here and in order for me to provide you with a thoughtful/informative answer, would you kindIy please provide me with the following:

1. An expanded and detailed description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing. For example, such devices would include: routers, switches, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors etc.

3. Please provide further insight into the mentioned audio zone that is being accessed via WiFi, that you’re considering using an optical connection with. Having the make and models of all the devices involved with this endpoint would be a great help.

4. In regard to this skipping behavior, during your troubleshooting of have you tried…

• Bypassing the mentioned endpoint and playing directly out of the device that is hosting your Ron core? If so, what was the experience like? My assumption (based on your post) is that the mentioned desktop PC is your core.

• Taking your Roon Core machine off of Wifi and testing with a hardwired connection directly to your router?

• When you notice this behavior do you find it is occurring more frequently when playing back a specific sample rate OR would you say this is more of a general performance problem?

-Eric

Hi Jeff, I’m going to restate what I think you are stating, please correct me if I have gotten it wrong.

Currently, you have the following:

Desktop (Running Roon Core) --> WiFi --> BlueSound Node -->Analogue RCA—> Amp. And the WiFi part is not keeping up.

The BlueSound Node only has network IN, so I am confused about where you wanted to use the Optical Cable. Do I have your setup correct?

Maybe he’s suggesting running an optical cable from his desktop into the Bluesound Node? And there not using wifi at all.

FYI Jeff 88mb is more than fast enough to stream music so don’t think it’s your network speed. You could try plugging both your desktop PC and the Bluesound node over ethernet cables into your router and therefore not using wifi.

1 Like

Jeff, ethernet over power and MoCA (ethernet over coax) are other methods to wire “direct.” Are you in the US? I use eero mesh wifi (available in the US) and have no issues with wifi coverage. With eero you can set ethernet access points and hook up to a gigabit switch which would supply ethernet to the adjacent room/ setup.

what processor is on your pc? especially if you have a large library, the old processors have a tough time and as a result can enable skipping.

Sorry about that. I appreciate everyone’s concern and responses. This should do it:

PC Setup - Core
PC - Skylake i5 6600k - ~70/80mbs wifi download
Wifi adapter - high end TP Link

Internet Setup
Spectrum modem
Apple Airport Extreme as router

Audio Setup
Bedroom (same room as PC):

• Powernode 2 (connected wirelessly)
  • PSB bookshelf speakers

Living room (same room as router (I could hardwire Node to the router)):
*Node 2 (connected wirelessly)
*NAD C375BEE amp
*PSB tower speakers

The ultimate issue is that Roon is somewhat skippy. In the bedroom I could just use optical from my PC into the Powernode. For the stereo in the living room, I could plug Node via ethernet cable into router and see if that helps.

I was thinking using the optical cable and no wifi at all. I also know that 70+ mbs should be just enough but I can only report the experience I’m having. I can’t plug the PC into the router bc they are forced to be in different rooms because of logistics and where the cable comes into the apartment.

Thanks Eric. I provided additional info to my post that should help.

So to answer one of your questions, I have tried playing directly out of the device (Node) and have had success. Meaning if I play Tidal straight from BluOS, it works without skipping. If I use Roon, it works but has its hiccups.

I also can’t hardwire the PC to the router bc of apartment logistics. In my house (that I moved from a month ago), I did have the PC hooked directly to the router and it worked well

It sounds like your wi fi is a bit iffy, I get the same occasionally. Have you tried rebooting the router or maybe put a wi fi extender in your listening room.

It doesn’t matter what your ISP speed is.

If you have an mobile download an app called Wi Fi Analyser or Wi Fi Hotspot. These give a readout of your current wi fi strength.

Also maybe Google wi fi dropouts there are hoards of sources explaining 2.4 Ghz interference , eg Microwaves , Local Phone stations

The mbs you need even for Hi Def is only 4-5 Mbs , well within any router as long as there are no metal walls :rofl:

Mike

I agree with Mike_O_Neill, it sounds like there are Wifi issues. Can you borrow/try a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters to connect the PC directly to your router, that might solve the problem.

Hi @Jeff_Ross ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback! Both are very appreciated!

I would agree with the other users in this thread, that these “skips/dropouts” in playback are more than likely caused by something network related (i.e your Wifi strength). You also mentioned, that at one point you had your Roon core directly connected to your router and things “worked well”.

Moving froward, if you are to continue looking into optimizing your Wifi strength I would also consider testing with a different router. I see that you are using an Apple Airport Extreme and can tell you that we have problems crop up with these devices in the past. Roon’s CTO, Brian, wrote a very informative post on what a strong Wifi configuration may resemble and known devices to look out for when thinking about the topology of “your” network.

-Eric